It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

girl103 HB User
OTC Cheap Tinea Versicolor Treatment

I've had tinea versicolor most of my life. I think I got it when I was about 12 and now I'm 50. I used prescription Tinver lotion at first but it took awhile to work, like around 10 days and my rash wasn't severe back then. Mostly on my chest area. Over the years it spread to the groin area, mid to upper back and underarms. I couldn't get the Tinver Lotion since I was probably 20 or so, so I looked for an alternative. Every summer, as soon as the weather warmed up I would see the rash appear, and I wanted to wear my bathing suit and get tan, but I couldn't do it until I cleared up the rash. So I looked for a lotion that had 2% Salicylic Acid (the same as Tinver). I found it in Clean and Clear acne cream from the Clearasil people. I just spread it on the area every night or morning for maybe 4 or 5 days and it would go away until the following spring. It seems as though the rash doesn't grow as well on previously tanned skin for some reason. I think they changed the formula or something on that cream because I couldn't find it anymore. Then I found Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment. This works just as well, but now my condition is pretty severe and it requires more lotion to cover the larger area. The best thing is you can buy this in almost any store for about $7 for a 2oz. tube. I usually go through 1 tube a year. This has never caused any dryness or irritation although my skin is not sensitive. None of the shampoos or wash treatments seemed to be very effective for me.
I have not wanted to try any oral medications because of the side effects. I just wish there would be more research done on alternative treatments so maybe a permanent cure could be found.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: OTC Cheap Tinea Versicolor Treatment

Dermarest make a psoriasis lotion that is 2% salicylic acid and it comes in a big 200ml bottle I think, for under 10 bucks.

Fluconazole is an oral treatment that has very few side effects - so few that its avaliable without prescription in Australia for the treatment of thrush - it might be worth asking your doctor about it. It is generaly taken once a day initialy, then reduced to once a week for a period if months - this can indeed be a permament cure.

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Closed Thread