It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User
Full body eczema.

Hi everyone. I'm 27 years old, male and I've had full body eczema for my entire life pretty much. From 2000-2007 it was pretty much cleared up, atleast it wasn't making me itch at all, didn't make my skin feel dry and was so cleared up no one ever noticed it on my skin at all.

However from 2007-until 3 months ago my Crohn's disease acted up and I had no insurance so I had to go on a monthly IV trial drug to get my crohns under control. While on this IV my eczema started to flare severely. My GI docs just put me on claritin, which did nothing, zyrtec which did nothing, and finally atarax and benedryl which both make me sleepy but also did nothing for my skins appearence or dry and itchy feeling. I've tried every cream and lotion in the walmart\target\etc drug sections with no results. Please any help at fixing my eczema would be great I've been off the IV for about 3 months but it doesn't seem to be clearing up from being off that drug. The drug was very similar to remicade if anyone wants to know.

At this point I actually thing my skin would feel better soaked in gas and lit on fire =\ I haven't slept for 2 years.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User
Re: Full body eczema.

Anyone please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there! I had a severe rash spread from an infection that lasted me a year and I also had itching and tried all types of things to keep myself from scratching. I finally started using ITCH FREE SALVE from the WiseWays company. It helps my itching and the rash seems nearly cleared now that I now longer scratch at it from the severe itching. They also put out a salve called ECZEMA CARE SALVE which can be obtained in some health food stores. I sure would like to know if it helps you.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

Makiki HB User

Hi, I had eczema on my hands for 10 years due to my occupation. I got another job and it cleared up for 9 years. Then I had my son and when he was about 8 months old the eczema came back. Mild at first then with a vengence. I never had it so bad. I realized it might be from the baby wipes. Well, I was given corticosteroids and it would sort of clear in up but it never really went away. I use gloves now to change my son's diapers, but it continued to get worse and worse, and spread over my whole body. My legs were covered with first hives, then scaly itchy patches. The insides of my elbows started to get it, I couldn't even function.

Then a few days ago I was doing research and discovered I might have an extreme sensitivity to Sodium Lauryl Sulfates (SLS), and Sodium Laureth Sulfates. This is a very common ingredient in anything that foams. Shampoo, toothpaste, hand soap, laundry detergent, It is the agent that binds to dirt and carries it away. It is often the 2nd ingredient in things after water, so that means there are high concentrations of it. It is actually used as a skin irritant in labs. It is VERY irritating to people who have dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, etc. and can worsen it. Its absorbed into the body so you can get an outbreak anywhere, not just where it touched your skin. Do a google search on it, you'll see tons of information.

I realized the worsening of the eczema coincided with me switching shampoos, so I checked and sure enough SLS was the 2nd ingredient. My doc thinks the initial outbreak with the wipes made me more susceptible to other irritants. So anyway, I stopped using anything with SLS and in just one day my hands didn't feel a ton better, but it didn't get anyworse either. It is slooooowly healing but definitely making progress and clearing up. I don't know if this is the main cause of my eczema, but it is helping. Please try this and see if it helps you at all, its worth a try. You can find tons of sulfate-free products online and in health stores.

Also use "cerave" lotion and cream, its the best moisturizer I ever used. It contains ceramides which are fatty lipids in our skin which allow our skin to retain moisture (SLS strips our skin of ceramides, btw).

I hope some of this may help you, good luck!!!

Last edited by Makiki; 06-30-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
(male)

tarkyo HB User

Ogrt48-

Hey buddy, my heart goes out to you. I have severe psoriasis and although I'm not covered FULL body, the areas that are effected extremely sensitive.
I'm fairly well educated with psoriasis medication along with the do's and don'ts, but not so much with eczema and other skin ailments.
Isn't there anyway you can get in to see a dermatologist? I know without insurance it's a pain in the ***, ( and it' only going to get worse, thanks to Oba.....Sorry, I said I wouldn't go there). Depending on your income and the state you live in, you might be eligible for some help there. Have you checked it out, if not, it might be worth the time. Don't be afraid to call some state health or human services.
If all else fails, hit the hospital ER, once they find out you don't have insurance or money, they'll hook you up with a social worker, mostly because the hospital is looking for someone to pay the reimbursement, but that's ok, it could lead to you getting help also.

Best of luck man, and if you think I can help in anyway, shoot me an IM or something.

~tarkyo~

Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Hi all. Tomorrow I get to see a plain old doctor. He's not a derm but he told my family member who saw him for her own illness that he could treat my eczema if I came in.. So I'll be seeing him at noon. I really don't want to go on a steriod because I have dental implants and steroids are a big no no with them but I really need this itching to stop now I've been itching for the past 12 hours today non stop I can't get anything done, just getting my hands to type this message and quit itching my body took 4 hours >.>
I'm guessing he'll give my a kenalog shot if they have them or a prescription for prednisone which I've been on and off all my life because of my Crohns disease. No idea how much the shot would be without insurance but atleast if he uses prednisone its only $4 bucks at walmart >.> Back to skinning myself alive.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Oh and if he dares tell me not to scratch like so many other people who have never had a skin problem I promise I will be arrested for assault.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Well the Doctor seems to know what he's doing with ezcema. He isn't a derm but as soon as I walked in his office all I saw everywheree were fliers and adds about ezcema and medications for it o.0

Well when he walked into the room as soon as he saw me he seemed shock about how bad mine is. I'm naturally white but my entire body is inflamed,red, broken out in cuts and blood etc. He said right away he was sticking me on 40mg of prednisone since he is against using shots like kenalog since you can't control the medication as well as you can with a daily pill.

I'm perfectly fine with prednisone since I've been on and off it for 28 years now due to my Crohns disease. Its an amazing drug when used correctly and the only side effect I've ever had while on it was acne, other times it would make my skin model perfect. I'd settle for acne over ezcema any day.

Oh, he also gave my atarax 25mg pills every 6 hours. I've had them before and they don't really do much but I'll just take them for now until the prednisone kicks in which is normally over night for me.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
(female)

lexishine HB User

My mom has eczema and uses Exotic body butter by Hoss Sauce. She is so much better. She also does indoor tanning. I can't even remember how she found out about Exotic. If you google it you can find where to purchse it at.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Hi there. I'll probably go to see a derm in a few weeks once I can get atleast enough money for a consult. The prednisone and atarax should help me greatly until then.
I'm in Ohio and I refuse to use our hospitals when I don't have a job. Last summer my Crohns flared up and I had to go there for a few hours. They didn't get me a social worker or any help at all even though I kept telling them I had no job or insurance. They gave me 4 liters of fluids and my heart rated was still 160+ after that they just gave up and told me to go home and drink gatoraide. A few days later I got a bill for thousands of $$.
However after calling them a million times someone finally mailed me a small form to fill out and fax back. They told me that after doing that the Dr who treated me would decide if I still had to pay without insurance or if he would waive the entire bill. I got lucky and the Dr just said not to worry about it and marked my account as paid.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
(male)

Benice2animals HB User

Hey there I too had very bad eczema for about 20 years what helped was desonide cortisone cream to be honest it saved me so much heart ache. The cortisone shots never helped me. I just wanted to tell you there is a lotion that I think is new....as an eczema sufferer I thought it was pretty amazing Vaseline intensive rescue. I used this right after the shower after immediately after I dry off while my skin was still damp....and it has helped tremendously.

I just wanted to say something about your prednisone use. I am an asthmatic and spend most of my life in the hospital and was on A LOT of prednisone. at 20yrs old I had Osteoporosis. This was attributed to the prednisone I got got both through IV and through pill. So while I don't regret taking it at all as it is a life saver.....you should maybe be aware of that ...If you google prednisone and osteoperosis you can see the info. Maybe when funds allow it you can get your bone density checked and maybe start yourself on some calcium suppliments....if you didn't know this....if you did then just ignore me lol.

Just wanted to say that and wishing you the best

Last edited by Benice2animals; 07-03-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
(male)

Ogrt48 HB User

Well been on the prednisone for 4 days now.. Skin feels great and almost looks model perfect and tanned again.
In other news I love the high amount of energy I get from the prednisone.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI, some people suffer from allergies to sulfa drugs and even to some extent sulfer in their food. If a person decides to limit sulfer in diet they should do it carefully so as not to be extreme. It is good to have a wide variety of food in the diet. Onions and garlic are known to have sulfer in them, however, they are also good for infection and apparently some respiratory illnesses according to some people.

Closed Thread