Re: Eczema/Atopic Dermatitis: Hydrolatum vs. Petroleum Jelly
[QUOTE=SwtSimplicity;4321039]So, I have my eczema under control, but I'm always using creams and moisturizers on a daily basis to keep my skin in check to prevent flare ups. . . I've used plain petroleum jelly for my eczema before and didn't notice much of a difference in my skin; after a while I actually noticed my skin was drier than before. . .[/QUOTE]
The body and mind are complexities. What seems, at times to work for one does not always work for another. That petroleum jelly dries your skin seems out of the ordinary scheme of the bodies responses, so I would suggest another petroleum jelly brand. Maybe the one you were using had some additive.
Petroleum Jelly (PJ) is not absorbed by the skin. It sits on the skin blocking bacteria entering and moisture leaving the skin. But, maybe you have some allergic reaction to an ingredient in PJ.
My eczema was terrible and started only nine months ago. I could not stop from scratching and it just got worse and worse. I did not find steroids would completely clear it up, though it became somewhat more manageable. I was sent to a dermatologist MD who barely glanced at me in my skivvies and wrote out prescriptions and naysaid everything that I was already doing at the time. I didnítí even try her regime.
Here is my solution that cleared up my eczema, and I will never veer from it.
1. Use no soaps to bath or wash your hands. Make your own cleaner: 1 Tbs Epsom salts to 250 ml water. I fill and then use a spray bottle. Magnesium sulphate is a hydrate and actually pulls moisture from the air and helps the skin retain water. It is also absorbed into the skin, which again helps keep it moist. After your soapless bath or shower, spray it all over your skin. Do not pat dry or use a towel at all except around closed areas like your underarms and groin area. Wear your house coat until your are fairly dry. Wear slippers you can toss in the wash.
2. When reasonably dry, put petroleum jelly on all eczema areas. You can use it all over your body, face included. Using it on your feet will soften your feet, alleviate dry callused skin and after a few days you will have the most sensuous feet you have ever experienced. When you are done, gently wipe the PT off your face (if you use it there) so you donít glisten. Using it on your face you will develop the softest skin so before bed is a good time to do it if it interferes with your makeup.
3. Have a second light shower at night and repeat #2.
4. Carry a small container of PT with you or/and keep a jar at work. Apply PT to your intense problem areas throughout the day. If you have rough dry cracked areas on your hands and other areas, you will be amazed at how quickly they heal and become supple again.
5. Take a full complex vitamin/mineral supplement two-or-three times a day. Make sure you are getting enough zinc, A, C, D, and magnesium which aid in healing.
6. Read up on TMS (Tension Myositis/Myoneural Syndrom). Dr John Sarno has written a number of books on the subject. Only about 10% of people accept his theory but those that do, the vast majority find relief from Mind Body problems. Be flexible in your thinking when it comes to mending the body.
If you work outside the home, try this programme over a weekend (start Friday evening with a shower) and if you donít have results by Sunday bedtime, then maybe this wonít work for you. Every body is different in some ways. However, tinkering with the outline and then complaining about it is not fair and is disingenuous, so stick with it carefully. Once your skin is cleared up, you can become more flexible with the system to find out what is the best mix to keep your skin healthy and free from pain. And do check out Dr Sarnoís books. His second book, Healing Back Pain. All his books go beyond back pain and his next two books further develop the idea and understanding of Body-Mind connections to illness and pain, but HBP is shorter and his treatment is well spelt out for the novice.
Cheers and best wishes. I know how devastating eczema has been to my life and I am finally free from its irritations.