It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
(male)

astaccz HB User
Angular Cheilitis Not Going Away With Prescribed Medication

Months ago I started to see my bottom lip chapped. I started buying a whole bunch of different types of lip balms and none worked. Then my corners of mouth in a few weeks were a whitish hue along with the edge of my bottom lip. At this point I applied Vaseline all the time and made sure that I never licked my lips. It did not go away so I went to my MD which said it was contact dermatitis. He prescribed me Hydrocortisone 2.5 percent and it did not work at all. I went back and by this time my lips got even more worse of appearing white only at the corners of my mouth and bottom lip on the edge. He prescribed me Hydrocortisone Valerate and that did do anything in 3 weeks that I used it.

So this time instead of going back to the MD I went to a Dermatologist who diagnosed it as angular cheilitis. She prescribed Mycolog II which I am currently using. I have been using this for 2 weeks already and it is not helping. The corners of my mouth are very sore and always irritating. around the corners now I have many small little bumps and also my skin around them appears to look a bright red but can not hardly be seen because I am dark skinned. Plus now they have visible little cracks and sort a split exactly on the corner of my mouth on both sides. Also Under my top lip but not in my mouth it appears as if there is a whitish hue.

Can anyone please tell me how to make these ugly splits and whitish hue go away. It is very embarrassing and impacted my self esteem a whole lot.
tomorrow i am going to Duane Reade to get b complex vitamins. Is there anything else that might help me rid this problem? I also put some pics to see the condition a little better.

Thanks for taking time out to read this

Last edited by moderator2; 09-21-2010 at 05:45 AM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
(female)

SLN68 HB User
Re: Angular Cheilitis Not Going Away With Prescribed Medicaiton

I lived with angular cheilitis for a year and half, thinking that it would never go away. One doctor told me it was from a Vit. b deficiency; I started taking Vit. b and it did nothing. Another doctor told me it was from getting older (thank you so much, I'm only 42!!!). I finally went to a dermatologist, but I don't think her treatment was what healed it. She did give me a one month dose of the antibiotic Tetracycline.

Upon doing further internet research, I found that I needed to eliminate a lot of the products I was using. I switched to a toothpaste with no sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and no fluoride. I also switched to a lip balm with no petroleum/petrolatum (Burt's Bees is what I use now), and stopped using Vaseline on my lips (which the dermatologist told me to use!), and within a couple hours the corners of my mouth were healing up!! I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

So, for me, it's no SLS, fluoride, and no petrolatum products. It's been about 2 months since it all healed up and I haven't had any recurrences. I couldn't believe my treatment came from the internet and not by what the dermatologist prescribed! Whether or not the Tetracycline had anything to do with it, I don't know, but I personally believe it was from omitting those offending products.

Good luck to you! I know how horrible it is to live with this. I didn't want to go anywhere because I thought people looked at me funny and thought I looked freakish!! I hope this works for you, too!! I do a lot of shopping at the health food store now!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
(male)

astaccz HB User

[QUOTE=SLN68;4332685]I lived with angular cheilitis for a year and half, thinking that it would never go away. One doctor told me it was from a Vit. b deficiency; I started taking Vit. b and it did nothing. Another doctor told me it was from getting older (thank you so much, I'm only 42!!!). I finally went to a dermatologist, but I don't think her treatment was what healed it. She did give me a one month dose of the antibiotic Tetracycline.

Upon doing further internet research, I found that I needed to eliminate a lot of the products I was using. I switched to a toothpaste with no sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and no fluoride. I also switched to a lip balm with no petroleum/petrolatum (Burt's Bees is what I use now), and stopped using Vaseline on my lips (which the dermatologist told me to use!), and within a couple hours the corners of my mouth were healing up!! I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

So, for me, it's no SLS, fluoride, and no petrolatum products. It's been about 2 months since it all healed up and I haven't had any recurrences. I couldn't believe my treatment came from the internet and not by what the dermatologist prescribed! Whether or not the Tetracycline had anything to do with it, I don't know, but I personally believe it was from omitting those offending products.

Good luck to you! I know how horrible it is to live with this. I didn't want to go anywhere because I thought people looked at me funny and thought I looked freakish!! I hope this works for you, too!! I do a lot of shopping at the health food store now![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. What toothpaste did you buy that did not contain any of those things? I looked at about 3 different toothpastes that I have now and they all contain these. I have seen sites on the internet that said vaseline is no good but most say to use it. I am going to get a lip balm that is free of those.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

SLN68 HB User

[QUOTE=astaccz;4332906]Thanks for the reply. What toothpaste did you buy that did not contain any of those things? I looked at about 3 different toothpastes that I have now and they all contain these. I have seen sites on the internet that said vaseline is no good but most say to use it. I am going to get a lip balm that is free of those.[/QUOTE]
It is Dr. Ken's brand. I went to a local health food store for it and there were only a couple brands that were both SLS and Fluoride free.

I have always heard that Vaseline is good for angular cheilitis and dry lips, and my dermatologist even recommended it, but I'm now wondering if that is part of what caused it all in the first place. I think a combination of SLS, Fluoride, and the petrolatum in the vaseline were a deadly combination for AC!

Good luck! I hope you find relief and healing with these things!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
(male)

jimmeh HB User
Re: Angular Cheilitis Not Going Away With Prescribed Medication

hope im not too late to join in on this conversation.
I have been using petrolatum on the cracks of my mouth, and it seems to be the only thing that will help sooth the pain.
Whenever I do get outbreaks, they typically are caused by the foods which I eat.
I also switched the toothpaste I used many years ago, but that didnt do much.

Also, there is a bit of discoloration from where the cracks happen. Did you have the same problem, and if so, how did you get it to look normal again?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

SLN68 HB User

[QUOTE=jimmeh;4337833]hope im not too late to join in on this conversation.
I have been using petrolatum on the cracks of my mouth, and it seems to be the only thing that will help sooth the pain.
Whenever I do get outbreaks, they typically are caused by the foods which I eat.
I also switched the toothpaste I used many years ago, but that didnt do much.

Also, there is a bit of discoloration from where the cracks happen. Did you have the same problem, and if so, how did you get it to look normal again?

Thanks in advance [/QUOTE]
When I first switched toothpastes, it didn't do much for me, either. It was when I quit using petrolatum/petroleum products that I noticed the big change. I haven't had the guts yet to try going back to regular toothpaste to see if it matters or not, but someday I will try. I just know that when I quit the petrolatum/petroleum, it was an almost immediate change for the better. One thing that happened to me that I'll share with you, whether it's pertinent or not, but with vaseline, the soothing and moisturizing feeling of it on those cracks really felt good, but when I switched to a non-petrolatum/petroleum product (Burt's Bees lip balm in my case), it didn't feel nearly as smooth and moisturizing, and it took me a week or so to get used to it. I was a bit frustrated, as it didn't feel 'normal' to me, but I did finally get the Burt's Bees lip balm with mango butter, and it had a much more vaseline-type feel to it. The beeswax in the other was a bit too dry, in my opinion. Anyway, take that for what it's worth! Just an observation on my part.

I did have a redness that persisted where the sores used to be, and they are finally starting to fade, but I can still see it. Nobody else notices it, but I can tell that it is a bit redder there than my normal skin color. It has definitely gotten better over time, and I expect it to get completely back to normal in time. That skin there was traumatized for a long time, so it will take time to repair itself.

Good luck to you...I hope you find healing from this!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to SLN68 For This Useful Post:
dfabe85 (11-12-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
(female)

bitofinfo HB User

HI,

It's 2011, so I hope this reply is not too late to help out some people.

I suffered with Angular Cheilitis for over a year. Endless doctor's appointments and no success. It was so incredibly painful to have those cracks continuously splitting on the corners of my mouth, not to mention how terrible it looked. I tried pretty much everything, and finally got the opportunity to meet with a tried and true dermatologist. Anyhow, one look at my cracked mouth and off I went with a prescription containing 30% mometazone, 35% Ketoconazole, and remaining 30% Ihle's paste. I used it for a few days, and the cracks went away. I know people usually post when they are in need of help or want to share stories, but I wanted to share this success story to help others suffering with this condition. Every once in a while (like once every 6 months), I will get a tingly feeling in the corner of my mouth, so I quickly apply the cream. I may get a tiny crack starting, but it can be nipped quickly now that I have this cream to use. Mometazone is just the anti-inflammatory. Ketoconazole is the good stuff - the antifungal. Ihle's paste is a surface protectant, that you can buy at any drug store over the counter. Also, Ihle's paste is a great protectant you can use anywhere (e.g. if you drool, it pretty much prevents moisture from accumulating there). I hope this helps - what I really learned is that you have to be persistant to get the results you want.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

callieD HB User

I suffered from Angular Cheilitis for 2 years with no relief, then I came across this remedy and so far it works! I hope it will help at least some of you..its a horrible problem.

Take 1 Iron Pill & 1 Vitamin B Complex Pill Daily. Use Vagisil Cream on the corner splits (it only took 3 days for them to heal completely once starting), apply several times a day until healed, if you really rub it in it doesn't leave white marks and it helps to numb the area and they don't hurt! If you feel anything starting again, put it on immediately and it goes away within a few hours.

Since starting this I have been completely healed for 2 weeks..this hasn't happened for 2 years. At bedtime I still rub a little Cream on the corners, only because I'm afraid to wake up with the problem again....I will probably get the nerve up to stop this in a week or so, I want to make sure the problem is gone forever!

Closed Thread