It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2001, 11:57 AM   #1

india22 HB User
Dry, scaly skin on legs????

I've gone to the dermatologist for the extremely dry skin only on my legs and he prescribed "LacHydrin" (sp??) lotion. I used as directed for about 1 year and my legs are still dry & scaly looking.

He then prescribed to me an over the counter lotion: Cetaphil, which is not doing anything for me.

I then asked him is there anything stronger and he said no. Now I may be wrong, but for people who have serious dry skin or ezcema there must be other strong lotions to smooth out the skin???!!! WHAT ARE THEY

Please help

Old 04-30-2001, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Dry, scaly skin on legs????

Good news! There are plenty of them that don't need a prescription. You can always use pure lanolin or Eucerin cream or lotion. One is pure, and the second one contains large amounts of lanolin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2001, 11:19 PM   #3

Smilemaker HB User

I really don't know much about this, but have you tried using an oil? I know that in the summer my legs get scaly and lotion just doesn't work. I either have to use baby oil or vitamin e oil. Both seem to do the trick for me because they absorb into the skin better. Maybe using something like that along with your prescription stuff might help. By the way, Did your Dermatologist say why your legs were scaly like that? Just curious, mine get that way, but maybe not as bad as you described yours as being. Anyhoo, have a greatful day!

Old 05-02-2001, 03:04 AM   #4

nittygritty HB User

Cetaphil won't help. I use cetaphil bar when I shower and the lotion when I wash my hands etc.

It's for washing, not for absorbing.

You could also try Urea cream. =)

I also have dry, scaly legs, and have yet to find a solution. Lanolin irritates my skin.

Old 05-04-2001, 01:06 PM   #5

india22 HB User

Baby oil is too oily and gets over everything! I will try the Lanolin and/or the Urea cream.

My derm. suggested that maybe the dry skin was due to the cold weather, but I told him how even in the middle of summer my legs still have that "scaly" look on the tops of my thighs and calfs. I wish he would know why I have this.

It's weird because my arms aren't that way

Old 05-04-2001, 06:22 PM   #6

strawberry HB User

Hi. Have your thyroid checked. Low thyroid has a host of symptoms including dry skin, fatigue, cold hands and feet, dry brittle hair, etc. I have low thyroid and my skin is dry and flaky, even in summer. I have allergies so I avoid fragrance. I use the generic for vaseline intensive care extra strenth. I use the generic for vaseline intensive care creamy for my hands. I use mineral oil or petroleum jelly in winter when lotion isn't enough. I've also had excema and allergy medicine makes it go away for me. I've tried all the brand names, and these are the least expensive and most effective I have found. I hope this helps you. Strawberry

Old 05-10-2001, 01:08 AM   #7

Christine VR HB User

Try a lotion called Ulactin. I have used everything that my dematologist has recommended but nothing worked. The U-lactin has worked wonders for me.

Old 05-10-2001, 06:46 PM   #8

Mich HB User

Try plain, old vaseline all over, after your shower...you'll be amazed!!

Michelle

Old 05-11-2001, 09:09 AM   #9

india22 HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strawberry:
<B>Hi. Have your thyroid checked. Low thyroid has a host of symptoms including dry skin, fatigue, cold hands and feet, dry brittle hair, etc. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Strawberry,
I never thought about the thyroid thing. I know about 2yrs ago I went to my doctor complaining about swollen glands, but tests came back clear. Till this day my glands are still slightly swollen, but I figure with all the tests that I went through and nothing coming up, that its I guess normal.

I do feel tired, but I chalk that up to just working 5 days a week

The only reason why I don't think I have a low thyroid condition is because, I haven't gained any weight.

Old 05-15-2001, 04:44 PM   #10

strawberry HB User

India, hi. Your thyroid level may be normal and you could still have a slightly increased tsh, which could only be traced by a TRH test. Even a slight thyroid problem could cause symptoms, especially the swollen gland. Ask your doctor to refer you to an endocrinologist (they specialize in glands). Ask the endo to give you a trh along with the tsh and let him/her know your symptoms. Let them know about a family history of graves disease, goiter, or any auto immune diseases. My info comes from a book: The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem. I hope this helps. Strawberry

Old 05-16-2001, 09:43 PM   #11

emmeline HB User

i am hypothyroid and i have a similar dry skin problem like yours. mine is on on the outsides of both of my "pointer" fingers and on the sides of my feet. it's so bad that it looks as if i have the hands and feet of a 90 year old man (and i'm a woman, 41. i've tried everything both presription and non. recently my doctor prescribed elocon ointment. major improvement. i highly recommend it.

Closed Thread