It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2002, 10:14 PM   #1

AngelaMDarling HB User
blow nose too much......leads to cold sores on nose???

Its on the INSIDE (painful, sore cuts) and the outside where the nostrils meet, there is a blister that is scabbing up and hurts like hell. I know this all started with blowing the nose tons and tons of times and it would irritate and make the nose bleed, on the outside, not inside. Is this a cold sore? If you know that it developed by blowing the nose and wiping the outer part of the nose way too much with stiff kleenex?

Old 02-07-2002, 05:21 AM   #2

Brookej HB User
Re: blow nose too much......leads to cold sores on nose???

It could be cold sores in the nose. Have you ever had them on your lips? If you have, then compare their appearence with those you have had on your lips in the past. If it is cold sores, then it is caused by a virus and getting them in the nose has to do with the trigeminal nerve which has 3 branches. Normally, cold sores pop out on the lips because the virus lies dormant along this nerve until it decides it wants to get active and make you pop out with cold sores. The virus has a usual area along the nerve where it prefers to "hang out" but if the virus backs up the nerve then it can cause cold sores to pop out in and around the nose. If it backs far enough up the nerve, the virus can infect the eyes which is very serious and requires prompt medical treatment. I believe that condition is fairly rare but I know someone who had that happen to her. She got prompt medical attention and her eyesight is fine. I think it is just one of those things that happens to some people and not others who harbor the herpes virus that causes cold sores. I don't think that blowing your nose and wiping real hard is what makes the virus manifests itself. It would be more the nature of the virus. On the other hand, I can only go by the description that you give and it may not be the cold sore virus at all. It may just be extreme irritation from lots of irritating nasal drainage and wiping of the drainage. Just give it some time and it will probably heal but be very uncomfortable until it does but if you end up with a secondary infection then you may need to see a doctor for treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2002, 06:29 AM   #3

AngelaMDarling HB User

Thanks!

Treatment..hahahaha!!!!!!! I suppose you mean from a derm...I can only expect it NOT to work, and I will have to go back tons of times and drain my account. lol

Old 02-08-2002, 04:18 PM   #4

Brookej HB User

Actually, I was thinking of treatment from just a regular run-of-the-mill doctor like a family doctor and mabey just a topical antibiotic ointment or something like that. Have you had a bad experience with a dermatologist in the past or something and do you not have health insurance? Glad you found my response so amusing. No one else has responded yet. I was only trying to help, throw out some possibilities. Sorry I wasted my time. It might just heal up on its own. If it doesn't, then you figure it out.

Closed Thread