It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2001, 08:37 PM   #1

Carrie73 HB User
Why do my nails peel?

I was wondering if anyone knows why nails peel? I was always able to grow my nails long until about six months ago, and now the top layer always peels off the tips and they get very weak. Is this due to a lack of a certain vitamin or mineral in my diet? I really haven't made any changes as far as that goes. Also is there any product out there that will fix the problem?

Old 03-12-2001, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Why do my nails peel?

Nails 'peel' for a variety of reasons, and one is due to our internal health. The other major reason for peeling nails is overexposure to water and to household cleaning solutions. Paper and fabric also dry out the nail plate and the result is peeling. It is a fairly simple solution to rehydrate your nail plate, but first, you have to find the source of the problem. Wear gloves whenever having your hands in excess amounts of water or whenever using household cleaning solutions. When ones hands are wet for more than 3 minutes, the nail plate will absorb more moisture than it can hold, and the interconnecting bands that hold the nail plate layers together become overly stretched. Repeated and prolonged exposure can break these bonds and the result is a split, peeling nail plate.

Apply a good nail and cuticle oil at least twice daily to replenish depleted natural oil and moisture levels. I recommend Botanical Oil available at Sally beauty supply nationwide, or Solar Oil/Solar Balm available at fine nail salons nationwide. The essential oils in these products include jojoba and vitamin E. The jojoba oil has a very tiny molecule that can penetrate the layers of nail plate and draw the vitamin E in after it.

Also, do yourself a favor and book a series of manicure appointments to help get you on your way.
<A HREF="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hooked-on-nails.com</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Marti (edited 03-12-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread