It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2001, 05:50 PM   #1

HavenB123 HB User
Sudden burning, cracked, raw lips!

Hi - I'm new here, and am desperately looking for what might have caused this. I normally have mildly chapped lips, but nothing major. But a couple days ago, I woke up in the morning and my lips were stinging a bit, and the corners were cracked. Then over the last two days its gotten worse, and now my lips feel like they're on fire, like a bad sunburn, tingly and burning, cracked and peeling, and the corners are raw. OUCH! I've never had any allergies before, or anything like this. Any ideas???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2001, 09:51 PM   #2

Cee HB User
Re: Sudden burning, cracked, raw lips!

Thats sounds exactly like what I went through. Its most likely a cold sore...those things really SUCK. If you wanna know more go to search and type in cold sores..I think there's a medicine that helps clear them up faster. U need to ge a prescription though and it only heals about 2 days faster than the usual amount of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2001, 10:44 PM   #3

SugarBaby123 HB User

Put lots of vaseline on them--it helps 4 real

Old 10-12-2001, 01:42 PM   #4

HavenB123 HB User

But I thought a cold sore was just in one spot, like in one corner of the lips (I've never had one before so I have no idea). This is both corners of my lips are cracked, and the rest of my lips are super-chapped, peeling with tiny tiny blisters/raw spots along the lip right where the outside of the lip meets the inside of the lip, both top and bottom, if that makes any sense. This also doesn't seem to be getting any bigger or spreading, like I thought cold sores did...

Old 10-12-2001, 02:07 PM   #5

kellybelly99 HB User

Have you been to the dentist lately? <p>[This message has been edited by kellybelly99 (edited 10-13-2001).]

Old 10-12-2001, 02:28 PM   #6

HavenB123 HB User

Yeah, that's what I thought it must be- an allergy. But you're right, figuring out what I'm allergic to is near impossible! So frustrating...

Old 10-13-2001, 12:11 AM   #7

Cee HB User

I don't know much about cold sores(they're also called fever blisters) but it sounds to me like u have a cold sore. When I had it i had it all over my lips.. the little tiny fluid filled blisters and the raw corners..my doctor told me it was a cold sore. I would go to the doctor just to be sure though.

Old 11-07-2001, 02:00 PM   #8

julie321 HB User

Ever find out what was going on with your lips? Let us know! We have a lot of people on here with the same problem!

Old 11-07-2001, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

My husband gets a 'sore' in the corners of his mouth which becomes red and raw. According to our dermatologist, it is from 'slobbering' during the night. Seems the acids in the saliva of some individuals can actually 'burn' the skin around the mouth. Our dermatologist prescribes an anti-fungal cream, but I won't remember the name until I get home tonight and look at the container. I will repost then. Anyway, there is the one she prescribes, then there is an over-the-counter one I buy when he runs out. Both creams are actually used for fungus on the feet or for 'jock itch' (which is a fungus), but I will say that he has used the 'stuff' for almost 2 years and it works. The only bad thing is that it needs to be used continually. If he stops, the 'sores' return.

Old 11-08-2001, 01:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The medication my husband uses is lamasil. Anyway, it works!

Old 11-08-2001, 04:15 PM   #11
Unregistered

Try looking up cheilitis on the net. It's a chronic inflammation of the lips. Sounds like a strong possibility.

Closed Thread