It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2002, 06:07 PM   #1

captnemo HB User
Dry, flaky skin under facial hair

Hi--
I'm hoping someone else might have the same problem I have, and can offer some advice. After growing up in the dry climate of Las Vegas, I moved to Oregon at age 23. Honestly, I don't know if climate has anything to do w/ my problem, but it started shortly after the move (6 mos. or so.) Anyway, it started in my right eyebrow--Within hours after taking a shower, I felt slight itching on the skin underneath. The skin becomes flaky, and comes off in large flakes. Slowly, over the last 3.5 years, it has spread to my other eyebrow, moustache, and now to my beard. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It doesn't happen everyday. Usually a lot of skin will flake off, and then it's not too bad for a few days. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Dry, flaky skin under facial hair

Try washing your face with a sea salt scrub to remove any dry, flaky skin, then follow with a moisturizer that contains vitamin E and Shea Butter. It won't hurt the hair, but rub it into the skin really well.

<p>[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 08-29-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #3

rj561 HB User

Sounds like you have seborrheic dermatitis--it is a form of atopic dermatitis that effects the hair bearing areas of the face and on your scalp.

You should go to a derm to get some prescription medicines--the two most widely prescribed meds for this are Desowen lotion which is a very mild corticosteroid and 2% ketoconazole which is a an anti-fungal cream. There are also some newer very effective topicals like Protopic and Elidel--they work pretty well and are non-steroidal.

This conditon is controllable but left untreated can get pretty nasty. Sweating usually makes it worse as do long hot showers--dry to keep the areas dry as possible--try cutting down on sugars and carbs in your diet as the fungus likes to feed off of these. Get some good sources of EFAs like flax, evening primrose oil, or my favorite, borage oil. Also take a good probiotic.

When you wash your face, you can use an OTC shampoo like Nizoral, Selsun Blue, T-gel, or Head and shoulders (I like Nizoral the best)don't leave it on your face for more than a minute or it will be too drying--these are all dandruff shampoos because basically, seborrheic dermatitis is almost the same as having dandruff but on your face.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-2002, 06:35 PM   #4

captnemo HB User

Hey, thanks for the help! I'll look into all of this stuff and hopefully get this taken care of. I can see what you mean by it getting pretty nasty if left untreated by the way it's spreading around my face already. Thanks again!!

Peace

Closed Thread