It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2000, 12:41 PM   #1

Mike29 HB User
Face, arms, chest turns red when drinking alcohol

Hi, I'm 17 years old and i think i'm allergic to alcohol. When I drink it, my face turns really red (as if I'm blushing) for quite a long time depending on how much I drink. My arms and chest also turn a little red as well. Could I be allergic to alcohol or is my body just getting used to it cause this is the first year that i have started to drink. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Old 12-26-2000, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Face, arms, chest turns red when drinking alcohol

Sounds to me like you are having a reaction to the chemicals in alcohol. Some people are sensitive to ethyl alcohol (the intoxicating agent) and will experience this type of reaction. No, your body will not 'get used to it' -- if you are allergic, your symptoms will worsen with each exposure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2000, 07:32 PM   #3

Lucy HB User

Mike,
It sounds like you are allergic. My stepdad has the same thing. He drinks anyway...just gets all red whenever he does. I think it may make him a little extra sensitive to alcohol too, or maybe that's just his low tolerance. It won't go away. I've seen my stepdad be allergic to alcohol for ten years now.

Old 12-27-2000, 08:11 PM   #4

Mike29 HB User

This is a reply to Lucy. I know that some people do throw up if they drink to much, but does your step-dad ever throw up after just a few drinks? My face also gets kinda swollen and eyes get bloodshot as well. Your step-dad have any of these? Do you know of any other things you may be able to tell me? Thanks

Old 12-29-2000, 12:30 PM   #5

Moon HB User

Mike I know two people that that have a similar problem.

The first one takes any type of drink and he gets a red stripe across his face and chest. and does not feel very good afterwards. It happens with one beer, it happens after eating a cake that has liquour in it. It doesn't seem to be life threatening as this person has decided not to drink.

The other person I know drinks and they turn red as if the blood pressure went up and they look strange and feel very nauseaus?

I think in a nut shell, you are not a drinking man, and if you are, everyone will know it - cause it will show. By what I know , it seems these two people are allergic to the alcohol or an ingredient in it. Could be the yeast could be other grains, just about anything. I do understand that if a person is allergic to something and the body is exposed to the allergen on a continuing basis, the body will escalate the reactions to the toxic substance. This could range from flushing of the skin to damaging other organs.

One of the persons I mentioned has had severe kidney problems during their life. The other seems to have some type of stomach problem that wont go away.

Sounds like you, and alcolhol should not be friends, just an occasional aquaintance that you never see, except in very (very,very) special occasions.

Closed Thread