It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2002, 05:47 AM   #1

Diana Bethany HB User
Can thinning shears ruin your hair?

Here's the deal: I've been doing some close examination of my hair and I don't know what's wrong with it. It seems as though I have tons of hairs all over my head that are growing in kinky. And the rest of my hair is straight. These little hairs just stick out and make my hair look frizzy.

Furthermore, I just remembered something that a stylist did to my hair about 8 months ago. Without my permission, she whipped out a pair of thinning shears and ran it through my hair, basically starting at the roots. Is is possible that this could have caused the damage?

Old 02-01-2002, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Can thinning shears ruin your hair?

Thinning shears cut the same as regular shears by cutting the hair straight off just as scissors do with paper. There is absolutely no way that thinning/texturizing the hair in this fashion would cause new hairs to grow in 'kinky'.

The type of hair (straight, wavy, curly or kinky) depends solely on the shape of the hair folicle from which it grows. Not every single hair folicle on a persons head is the exact same shape. One can have hair that is stick straight, but find 'kinky' hairs in certain places. This is absolutley natural - you may just now be paying more attention, which is why you noticed them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2002, 08:20 AM   #3

BBR HB User

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Marti on this one. Thinning shears don't cut the same as regular shears, otherwise they wouldn't be called "thinning" shears.

I had the same problem with my hair a few years ago. I have very thick hair and often asked for it to be thinned. After a few haircuts my hair was one big ball of frizz. It wasn't until after a friend of mine explained to me how thinning shears work. (Basically, they cut hairs at random and at different lenghts). This is what gives it that "frizzy" look.

The good thing about it is that eventually it grows out and looks normal again!!

Old 02-03-2002, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive

Canasa HB User

It can't ruin your hair, but it can temp change the appearance of your hair. I don't believe it it was 8 months ago, that is was because of the cut you got. It must be something, other then "cut" hair that has caused this, like color, or perm. Or you are taking something in your diet. The frizzy is comming from the root. NOT from the cut of the hair.

Good luck on this

Old 02-06-2002, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Ok - I have cut hair since 2/1967 and have NEVER had a client experience frizzy hair from using the thinning shears. Thinning shears cut the hair 'straight across', vs at an angle such as with a razor. Thinning shears have one straight blade and one 'thinning' blade. This only means that the hair that is 'thinned' is only cut between the cutting edges and not in the portion of the blade that does not have a cutting edge. I have thinned my own hair at the ends to 'texturize' it, and if it actually made the hair 'frizzy', I would most certainly not use them - especially on my own hair.

One may want to lay the blame for the 'frizzies' on the way they blow dry the hair, or the brush they use when blow drying rather than the type of shears used to cut the hair. <p>[This message has been edited by Marti (edited 02-06-2002).]

Closed Thread