It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2002, 07:31 AM   #1
Inactive

Dillard02 HB User
Soft, Spliting Nails

Does anyone on the board know how to keep your fingernails from being so soft and spliting all the time? I take GNC's Ultra Mega vitamin everyday, and my thumb nails just keep spliting. They have for years. And all of my other nails are soo soft that I cant grow them at all, they just tear when they get to a certain length. Is there some sort of vitimin defficiancy or something that would cause this? I eat really healty. Is there something that you can put on them (that really works), to make them strong and keep them from spliting? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
Re: Soft, Spliting Nails

my internist says that biotin is good for hair and nails.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2002, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Soft, Spliting Nails

Our nails, just like our hair, are inherited from our parents. If your parents have nails like this, chances are that you are genetically predisposed to soft, thin nails.

The nail plate is 'born' in the root (matrix); the leading edge of which can be seen as the white half-moon (lunula) at the base of the nail. The longer the lunula, the thicker the nail plate. This is because the matrix can produce more cells to comprise the nail plate layers. More cells mean thicker, stronger nails. Biotin is good for the hair and nails, although it will not help the plate to produce more cells - it will only keep the nail plate healthy.

You can help your nails by wearing gloves whenever having your hands in water a lot or when using any type of household cleaning solutions. Water and other solvents will wick the moisture and oils from the nail plate making them weak, and they will easily split, peel and break.

You might go to your local nail salon and inquire about a natural nail strengthening system called Nail Tek. It will help to balance the moisture and oil levels in your nails so they won't be quite so soft and break so easily.

Closed Thread