It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2001, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User
Findernail Turning White

When I was putting new nail polish on my nails, I noticed that the red part (I beleive it's called the nail bed, but not sure)is turning white. My nail or finger doesn't hurt. Does anybody know what it is or if I can do anything about it? I wear nail polish all the time. Could it be from wearing nail polish day in and day out? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank You

Bernice

Old 02-19-2001, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Findernail Turning White

Is the nail plate turning white in spots? If so, it could be a fungal or yeast infection. Either infection results in Onychomycosis, and can invade through a tear in the proximal and lateral nail folds as well as the eponychium. This type of infection is characterized by onycholysis (nail plate separation) with evident debris under the nail plate. It normally appears white or yellowish in color, and may also change the texture and shape of the nail. The fungus digests the keratin protein of which the nail plate is comprised. As the infection progresses, organic debris accumulates under the nail plate often discoloring it. Other infectious organisms may be involved, and if left untreated, the nail plate may separate from the nail bed and crumble off.

White spots (Leuconychia) can also appear as tiny spots that seem to grow from the cuticle toward the free edge and are usually the result of trauma to the matrix. This trauma can be an unnoticable bump or 'hit' to the matrix. The lunula (the white area at the cuticle referred to as the 'moon') is the leading edge of the matrix where the nail plate cells are 'born'. If it is Leuconychia, it will grow out with the nail plate and they are nothing to be overly concerned with. For a picture of both these disorders, you can visit my website: <A HREF="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com." TARGET=_blank>www.hooked-on-nails.com.</A> Click on Nail Disorders.<p>[This message has been edited by Marti (edited 02-19-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2001, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User

No, the nail plate doesn't have white spots on it. The whole red area is just turning white. Could it still be an infection?

Thank You

Bernice

Old 02-21-2001, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Yes, it could be! It doesn't sound like it is in the progressive stages yet, so it should be easier to treat. You should go to a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis and prescription. Generally, a fungus nail infection will turn a yellowish color, the nail plate will lift, and debris will collect between the nail plate and the nail bed. A nail plate that loses its color could also signify some internal disorder: anemia, etc.

Closed Thread