It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2001, 10:11 PM   #1

Foster HB User
lifted toenail

About 5 months ago I was wearing open toe sandals and caught my big toe nail on a car door as I was getting out. It lifted my toe nail but didn't rip it off completely. It has stayed white since. I keep cutting it back because it has never reattached. When it does grow out some and I cut it back to maybe help it reattach I get alot of nasty white stuff like dry skin from underneath it. I just want to know if any one can give me some insight on rather it will ever reattach and grow back to normal. If I don't keep cutting it back and cleaning it my toenail on the one side keeps giving me real bad ingrown toe nail pain. Thank you for any advice.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: lifted toenail

Is the 'white stuff' underneath the nail plate crumbly? If so, you may have a nail infection from the tear in the hyponychium (the seal between the nail plate and the nail bed.) Any tear to the nail unit seal will allow a fungal or bacterial spore to enter the site. Fungus thrives on the proteins in the nail plate. It is generally white in color, although sometimes the debris underneath the plate can become yellowish as well. You are doing the right thing by keeping the nail plate short, however, I wouldn't advise 'cleaning' this area of debris as doing so will force the fungus to proceed further back toward the nail matrix. You should see a dermatologist and have a culture taken of the debris underneath the nail to determine if it is in fact a fungal infection. If it is, as I suspect, then it will require medication to alleviate the fungal spores. Medication can be taken orally or in the form of Penlac Nail Laquer which is a fungus medication.<p>[This message has been edited by Marti (edited 01-16-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread