It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2001, 08:23 AM   #1

cfischer HB User
Ridges on Fingernails

I have horizontal ridges on both my thumbnails, and more subtle vertical ones on the rest of my fingernails. They look healthy besides these ridges, which have been around for a year now. Does anyone know where these ridges come from, or what they might signify? I'd be grateful for a response.

Old 05-21-2001, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Ridges on Fingernails

The nail plate 'rides' forward on the nail bed over a 'rail and groove' effect - much like a train rides forward on its' tracks. As we age (or sometimes due to a recent illness or other health issue), these 'rails' and 'grooves' become apparent on the nail plate as vertical ridges.

As we age, the 'tidal flow' of moisture from the nail bed that bathes the nail plate diminishes. Since the nail plate cells are no longer as 'plump' as in our youth (or better health), vertical ridging results. Mine began on my right thumbnail -- I can now see the effects on my left thumbnail as well. I keep them from getting worse by applying a good quality nail and cuticle oil at least twice daily. I recommend an oil that contains jojoba and vitamin E oils. The jojoba has a very tiny molecule that can penetrate the surface layer of the skin and between the nail plate cells and will draw the vitamin E in after it.

For more information on vertical ridging or 'beading', please visit my website and check the page on Nail Diseases and Disorders: <A HREF="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hooked-on-nails.com</A>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread