It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2002, 10:41 AM   #1

paulfitz HB User
8 Year old with large WARTS. Please HELP!!!!

My 8 year old daughter has 2 large round warts (about the size of two pencil erasers) on one knee and a large (cockroach) size wart on her hand knuckles.
I have tried many remedies including the over the counter stockpile of removers such as compound w and durafilm, etc.. and nothing has worked. We have beedn patient using these products as we've used them for 3-4 months and have spent lots of money on this stuff that hasn't worked at all.
We have also had them burned off at a dermatologists office with them coming back better and bigger than before.
Now a couple of dermatologists are telling me surgery is the only way to remove them.
I don't want my 8year old to get cut she'll absolutely freak out. Any other methods or remedies I haven't tried yet?

Thank you!!!!

Old 09-09-2002, 11:11 AM   #2
(female)

wenron HB User
Re: 8 Year old with large WARTS. Please HELP!!!!

Probably only surgery. If you don't tell her she's getting cut and maybe have her get some general anesthsia, might be the answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2002, 11:48 AM   #3

paulfitz HB User

I won't put my kid under anesthesia for a non-lethal ailment.
Please someone give me some alternatives.

Old 09-09-2002, 06:44 PM   #4

Mushmelon HB User

My daughter had warts all over her hands when she was about 8. She's now 19 and has been totally wart-free for years. We finally found the RIGHT dermatoligist. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff she had to use. It looked almost like an antibiotic gel and I remember he gave her a very small amount in a jar. She had to apply it every night with a q-tip to every wart. After a couple of days all of them blistered up. They looked horrible and were painful but there was no turning back. After they dried up and the scabs came off the warts were gone! The doctor even told her that it was now in her system and there was a good chance she would never get another one. (She probably had about 25 on her hands) Every once in a while she'll comment that she thought she was getting one but it goes away by itself. Her hands are beautiful and unscarred. I'm not going to swear to it but I believe it was a stronger strength of the salicylic acid that the otc wart removers contain. Whatever it was, it worked. Good Luck.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:01 PM   #5

Carrie73 HB User

I had warts when I was about the same age as your daughter. I agree that you should try to find an alternative remedy...surgery seems drastic for such a small ailment, although they are certainly bothersome to a kid. When I had them, my Mom gave me high doses of vitamin A and they went away like magic. You might want to do an online search for natural remedies using vitamins. I no longer can remember the dosage she gave me. I know she also had me apply vitamin E on the warts. Hope this helps!<p>[This message has been edited by Carrie73 (edited 09-13-2002).]

Old 09-19-2002, 07:31 AM   #6

jazper HB User

What does your doctor mean by "surgery". My son had large warts that reqular treatment did nothing for. He even had one growing under his finger nail. My derm used a laser to remove the warts. He did not have to be put under. They did give him a shot of local anethesia. I also brought along a walk man so he could listen to music and not think about it. He said it was not painful and the warts never returned.

Closed Thread