It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

KCKD HB User
Itchy bump on hand

I continue to get these small itchy bumps on my hands. At first, it looks like a small pimple, maybe water filled. Then it will itch a little, then once broken itch A LOT. Some of them bled a little from the itching, then a little red dot would be in the center after the itching calms down. Then later, or the next day there would be a scab. It seems that a layer of skin may peel away from the elevated part of the bump.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

Stef101 HB User
Re: Itchy bump on hand

Diagnosis ~ Dermatitis Herpetiformis
After reading this post, I just had to reply.

After a lot of searching, I finally found the source of my husbands itchy, painful bump and blisters that appeared on his elbows, knees, forehead, butt, and fingers. I had to come back here to post our findings to help others.

He went to 4 doctors (Dermatologists and allergists). None of them tested his skin. All they did was prescribe a steroid cream... that did not work.

One doc told him it was eczema...another said psoriasis...another told him it was shingles. Even I knew it wasn't those things! Why can't doctors just say that they DON'T KNOW what it is... instead of making something up?

After searching for weeks online, I finally found a picture of it. It was shown as Dermatitis Herpetiformis !! I printed the picture and he took the pic to the doc the next day and told him that he wanted his skin tested for Dermatitis Herpetiformis.

MAKE SURE A DERMATOLOGIST TAKES A SAMPLE OF YOUR SKIN BLISTER AND HAS IT TESTED!! My husbands test came back POSITIVE!

Cause = GLUTEN!!

He never had any stomach issues and that is why the docs never thought of it. A very small percentage only have Dermatitis Herpetiformis without the stomach issues. He went on a gluten diet and the sores are gone. He can tell when he eats gluten, because he gets some sores back.

He was prescribed Dapsone for times when he accidentally eats gluten and gets the sores. The Dapsone helps. Since he avoids gluten, he doesn't need the Dapsone very often.

I just had to post this, so others won't have to suffer with docs that are clueless. You are your own best advocate ; - )

Best of Luck!

Last edited by Stef101; 02-04-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
(female)

Stef101 HB User

Diagnosis ~ Dermatitis Herpetiformis
After reading this post, I just had to reply.

After a lot of searching, I finally found the source of my husbands itchy, painful bump and blisters that appeared on his elbows, knees, forehead, butt, and fingers. I had to come back here to post our findings to help others.

He went to 4 doctors (Dermatologists and allergists). None of them tested his skin. All they did was prescribe a steroid cream... that did not work.

One doc told him it was eczema...another said psoriasis...another told him it was shingles. Even I knew it wasn't those things! Why can't doctors just say that they DON'T KNOW what it is... instead of making something up?

After searching for weeks online, I finally found a picture of it. It was shown as Dermatitis Herpetiformis !! I printed the picture and he took the pic to the doc the next day and told him that he wanted his skin tested for Dermatitis Herpetiformis.

MAKE SURE A DERMATOLOGIST TAKES A SAMPLE OF YOUR SKIN BLISTER AND HAS IT TESTED!! My husbands test came back POSITIVE!

Cause = GLUTEN!!

He never had any stomach issues and that is why the docs never thought of it. A very small percentage only have Dermatitis Herpetiformis without the stomach issues. He went on a gluten diet and the sores are gone. He can tell when he eats gluten, because he gets some sores back.

He was prescribed Dapsone for times when he accidentally eats gluten and gets the sores. The Dapsone helps. Since he avoids gluten, he doesn't need the Dapsone very often.

I just had to post this, so others won't have to suffer with docs that are clueless. You are your own best advocate ; - )

Best of Luck!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

[QUOTE=KCKD;4654597]I continue to get these small itchy bumps on my hands. At first, it looks like a small pimple, maybe water filled. Then it will itch a little, then once broken itch A LOT. Some of them bled a little from the itching, then a little red dot would be in the center after the itching calms down. Then later, or the next day there would be a scab. It seems that a layer of skin may peel away from the elevated part of the bump.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps scabies????

Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
(male)

Opus09 HB User

Sounds like dyshodrotic eczema. I've had it on my hands and feet.

Closed Thread