It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

Cibb HB User
Open wound

Had a mole removed yesterday, today I ran water over it, then dried it and added neosporin and band-aid. I know the dark junk in the wound is dried blood, but what's the jelly-like tan-yellow matter in there? I changed the bandage (added a glob of neosporin as well) a few hours after biposy b/c original bandage fell off. After washing today, water didn't flush everything out as you can see from this picture. I want to sterilize tweezers and get the gunk out but I'm concerned it's actually healing tissue and don't want to injure myself. Anyone know what this gunk is and how to get rid of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woundpic.jpg (32.6 KB, 14 views)

Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Open wound

The yellow is eschar (moist scab) dead tissue. It comes from keeping the wound moist. How long did the doc tell you to keep it covered?

With the eschar there it takes longer for the wound to heal, but it is normal.

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

Cibb HB User

I think I'm to keep it covered with neosporin and a fresh band-aid daily for several days as well as letting water run over it daily to clean, honestly can't remember what the nurse told me. If it's healing tissue I won't touch it. I'll just keep doing as instructed. Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

It looks good to me. Keep following the drs instructions!

Pup

Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
(female)

Cibb HB User

As a f/u to this post, I spoke with a derm at the office and she actually suggested I might lay a wet washcloth over the area 2x day and leave it open to air out instead of covering with a band-aid all day. Also to gently let water in the shower run over it daily. She said this scab tissue needs to dry out so it can fall out. She did also recommend covering with neosporin and the like and a bandage for part of the day, etc. but that once the bleeding stopped (which it has) to try and leave it open to air. She also mentioned that anti-scar cream Mederma 2x day after scabbed over for a few months would help lessen scar appearance. Also that the tissue would shrink in as it healed leaving a smaller hole. Thought I'd post this in case anyone else is in the same boat and needs some recommendations.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cibb For This Useful Post:
esker (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It does need to come out in order to grow new skin. I just didn't want to say that over the internet because I didn't want you "ripping" the scab off every day.

It will dry, and shrink up, and with normal friction (or slight picking) get smaller until it's gone. You won't end up with a crater, it won't even be a dent- I promise.

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
Cibb (05-05-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
(female)

Cibb HB User

Posting again...it's been day 8 post mole removal and I'm wondering if it's getting infected or healing? The gunk inside is still there, still seems moist-ish, dry scab has not yet formed. Have mild soreness if I press on area otherwise nothing, edges look slightly swollen and darker pink for the last 3 days. Sides seem to be pulling in, closing up. Could it be due to swelling from an infection or due to the healing process or even an allergic reaction to the neosporin? Any ideas?

Last edited by Scott_HB; 08-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
(female)

Cibb HB User

Picture attachement didn't show up in last post. Trying again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woundpic2.JPG (32.9 KB, 7 views)

Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looks great to me. If it was infected the redness would extend further out from the wound. An inch or more. There would be warmth and increased pain.

It really looks good, let it dry up and it will finish healing.

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
Cibb (05-11-2011)
Closed Thread