It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

vicariousbliss HB User
Contact dermatitis? Eczema? I need help !

Ignore this thread! It double posted for some reason ):

Last edited by vicariousbliss; 06-02-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Ignore this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Contact dermatitis? Eczema? I need help !

Most eczema actually is related to or triggered by contact dermatitis. "Natural" products are no defense against skin allergies, because you can be allergic to natural things, like, say, pollen.

Until this is resolved, NOTHING goes on your face (other than soap once a day on the oily parts), unless prescribed by the dermatologist. It could take weeks after stopping the products for the rash to resolve, if it was caused by something you were using.

Do you use moisturizer on your dry hands and legs? I find that plain vaseline is the best moisturizer for me. My husband, who has thinner skin, doesn't like it and opts for a hypoallergenic moisturizer with dimethicone.

Antihistamine pills are a "safe" way to reduce allergic rashes also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

vicariousbliss HB User

Thanks for replying. (: About the pollen thing, I have a question. My doctor says that I have some sort of year round allergy, such as to dust or mold, because of my chronic rhinitis. (I'll be tested for these things in 2 weeks, as well as patch testing for the dermatitis) Can those allergens cause skin rashes as well.... particularly the one around my eyes ?
For my dry hands and legs, I just started using shea butter (it also has cocoa butter and olive oil). No extra anything in it. So far, so good. I also use vaseline, because it's just soooo dry. I also take a Benadyrl for the hives, it seems to work, but I would love to know what's causing the hives in the first place.

Last edited by vicariousbliss; 06-02-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typos

Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
(female)

vicariousbliss HB User

By the way, I don't mean eczema flare-ups, I mean a rash caused by an actual allergy to mold or dust.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When I go out on a high pollen day, my eyes itch, my nose runs, my chest tightens, and--

I break out in itchy red bumps on my face and neck. Sometimes they look like mosquito bites. When it gets severe, I get hives/eczema type rashes that start at my ears and run down and forward. It looks pretty hideous, actually. And there's no doubt in my mind or my allergist's that it is triggered by exposure to pollen.

So, yes, definitely possible. A daily antihistamine can help, or allergy shots are also an option.

When I've been outside, I try to rinse my face with plain cool water as soon as possible. I always shower in the evening, before bed, to try to reduce my exposure. You might want to look into allergy proofing your bed.

Closed Thread