It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

canadave HB User
sudden itchiness after touching things?

Sort of a bizarre question:

Recently, within the past few weeks, I've noticed that if I touch certain surfaces, usually of a rough/chafing variety, my skin at the contact point becomes very itchy within less than 5 minutes, and stays that way for about 20 minutes. For instance, I was looking underneath my car the other day and was supporting my weight on my hand for a few moments, on some gravel. As soon as I got up and went inside, my palm was itching really badly.

Today I went to try on some neoprene wetsuit boots. I tried one on, walked around for a minute or two, and took it off. Within 5 minutes my entire foot was itching really badly, and gradually wore off about 20 minutes later--same thing.

It's happened a couple other times too. I've never had this kind of thing happen before. It's not a hugely big deal obviously, since it goes away, but it's annoying. Does anyone know what this is?

Last edited by canadave; 07-11-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
(female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User
Re: sudden itchiness after touching things?

This sounds like Dermagraphism. Does it happen with pressure? If you scratch your skin does it become red and slightly raised?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
(male)

canadave HB User

[QUOTE=Angeleyes1437;4797539]This sounds like Dermagraphism. Does it happen with pressure? If you scratch your skin does it become red and slightly raised?[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks...I don't think it's dermagraphism, as it's not raised at all. There's a very slight redness perhaps, but nothing at all dramatic. It looks almost normal...it just really itches.

Hard to say if it's pressure-related. For sure, when it happened to my hands, my palms were pushing heavily on the ground supporting my weight. On the other hand, the wetsuit boot episode didn't really involve a lot of pressure I don't think...mind you, it was definitely a tight fit, so....???

So strange....

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User

[QUOTE=canadave;4797813]Hi,

Thanks...I don't think it's dermagraphism, as it's not raised at all. There's a very slight redness perhaps, but nothing at all dramatic. It looks almost normal...it just really itches.

Hard to say if it's pressure-related. For sure, when it happened to my hands, my palms were pushing heavily on the ground supporting my weight. On the other hand, the wetsuit boot episode didn't really involve a lot of pressure I don't think...mind you, it was definitely a tight fit, so....???

So strange....[/QUOTE]

My dermagraphism only raises slightly on stomach and thighs. but on my hands, feet, neck etc it just gets itchy and red. The best way to tell is to try scratching yourself with a bit of pressure and see if you can write on your arm (it will turn red). Also, try taking an antihistamine and see it stops happening. If that works it could have been brought on by environmental or food allergies, so hopefully you can eliminate whatever is causing it. Pressure often sets it off for me. I cannot think of anything else that would cause your symptoms that I am aware of! Good luck and I hope you get some answers!

Closed Thread