It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
(male)

Side HB User
Sebaceous Cyst or Something Similar

So I've had something like a sebaceous cyst a little under my jawline for a few years, most likely due to shaving. It was fairly large but not super large, maybe the size of a lima bean I suppose. Anyway, no issues with it per sť, other than it's somewhat of a nuisance being there, especially when I shave, but it hasn't ever really hurt. Yesterday, though, I figured I'd see if I could do some things to at least make it smaller or even go away, so I read that applying heat to it could help it drain. However, I did that, but later it actually started feeling sore and is tender to touch, a day later, plus it also seems to be a bit larger. I haven't seen anything mentioning that, so I want to get information on whether that implies I shouldn't try applying heat like that again or if it's possibly something other than a sebaceous cyst.

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
(female)

Wenchjoanie HB User
Re: Sebaceous Cyst or Something Similar

Hi there. Just read your post and thought I might be able to help a bit with your problem. I too had a sebaceous cyst on my right buttock. At first, I thought it might be a boil because I have had them before. I decided, like you, to have a good hot bath and see if it would break it. I squeezed it after the bath and a bit of stuff came out but it was still rather large. I started to think it was something other than a boil, so I went to the emergency department at our local hospital. That is when they told me that it was a sebaceous cyst and that it would need to be lanced. Thank God, they gave me freezing before they started to dig the cyst out. After removing it, they put a lot of packing in it (like accordian paper). They said it was so that it would heal from the inside-out and prevent a big hole. I had to go back every couple of days and they would remove the packing (with no freezing-really hurt) and then repack it again. I think I went through this for about 2 weeks before I was told it would be okay. Lots of peroxide to prevent infection and it is now almost as good as new. Just a small indentation. Hope this helps with your problem. It is worth it to get a doctor to have a look at it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
(male)

Side HB User
Re: Sebaceous Cyst or Something Similar

Thanks for the response. It ended up randomly starting to leak, I suppose, until it got down to a much smaller size after a week or so (and I've finally been able to shave; I already had put it off for a while before it had happened). I think it's actually smaller now than it was originally, and it seems like it's mostly liquid, whereas originally it was more solid. I plan on trying to heat it regularly for a little while. If it's not gone by the time I get to go to my dorms (off campus for summer research) in three weeks, I do plan on going to the University's health services on campus.

Closed Thread