It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
(male)

stevo29 HB User
will complexion improve after i quit smoking

hey guys and girls

i have been smoke free for 15 weeks now and was wonderng if my complexion will improve. i have quit before, once for 9 months and failed to see an improve in that time. i have read a lot of information stating that the face will get better, but it never really gives a time. my complexion is very coarse and bumpy and the tone is very blotchy. what kind of time frame do people think an improve will be gained and does anyone know of any products that may help with smoke damaged skin?

thank you peeps

Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: will complexion improve after i quit smoking

I quit smoking six years ago, and people said I looked younger.
I did gain about five pounds, which may have had something to do with it (this was good in my case; I was underweight).
I noticed after I quit that my skin tone looked less yellow and more pink, which may have contributed to the "looking younger".
Still, cigarettes or no, I'm getting older, and my skin is not as smooth as it once was. I take a washcloth and scrub the heck out of my face with it about once a week... for two or three days afterward, my skin feels very smooth. Then it begins to feel dry and coarse again.
I can't afford expensive exfoliants (I guess they're called), so I rely on this washcloth routine to exfoliate my skin and scrub off the dead, dry, flaky surface layer.

Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
(male)

ClearSkinRomy HB UserClearSkinRomy HB UserClearSkinRomy HB User

Kali.. you know you can make your own exfoliant masks at home, so you don't need to pay money on expensive products.

One simple recipe is this:

Take a bit of honey (1 tbsp should be enough) and some micro-granulated sugar, mix them together and make a thick paste. Massage the paste on your face for about five minutes.

the honey will moisturize your skin while the sugar acts as a micro exfoliant removing dead skin cells and any dirt or impurities from your pores.

Use micro-granulated sugar so it isn't too harsh on your skin.

@stevo29 - you can speed up the process of your skin getting better by drinking plenty of water each day, and using some natural masks for your face once or twice a week. Something with honey in them, green tea or yogurt will help your skin regain its glow it once had

The Following User Says Thank You to ClearSkinRomy For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
(male)

stevo29 HB User

thanx for the reply guys, didnt know that simple things like yogurt and honey can help a bad complexion are they better than using an over the counter product? but i do have very oily/acne prone skin, would something like yogurt cause me to break out? also do you have ideas on firming the skin, i think smoking has ruined the collegen?

thanx again guys

Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
(male)

ClearSkinRomy HB UserClearSkinRomy HB UserClearSkinRomy HB User

[QUOTE=stevo29;4805446]thanx for the reply guys, didnt know that simple things like yogurt and honey can help a bad complexion are they better than using an over the counter product? but i do have very oily/acne prone skin, would something like yogurt cause me to break out? also do you have ideas on firming the skin, i think smoking has ruined the collegen?

thanx again guys[/QUOTE]

Well.. yogurt, for example contains lactic acid and beneficial enzymes which will keep your skin moisturized and hydrated throughout the day. It also soothes, brightens and softens the skin. It reduces redness on your face, cleanse it and diminishes your blemishes.

Honey, on the other hand, has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which is very good for acne prone skin, reducing redness (which is caused by inflammation) and blemishes.

If you look at various over-the-counter products, you will see that many of them are based on natural ingredients, such as honey, yogurt, green tea, coffee berries or stuff like this. So why not use the main ingredient, in its natural form, rather then buying an expensive product.

Those products have their effect too, don't get me wrong, They combine benefits and properties from many substances and ingredients into one single cream.. so they are good too.

If you have very oily skin, this is probably what causes your acne and pimples so you need to take care of that.

Yogurt is good, but egg white is even better for treating oily skin.

[B]You can use this facial mask to treat oily skin and firm your skin:[/B]

Take an egg and separate the egg white from the yolk. (You will be using only the white part)
Put the egg white in a bowl and whisk it with a fork until you see bubbles forming on the surface - this means it is ready.

Egg white is great for removing the excessive oil, whitens the skin and it also gives it a temporarily face lift (so it is good for firming the skin as well).

Using only the eggwhite will help your skin a lot, but you can add a few more ingredients ( to make it smell good and make it even better)

Add 1 tbsp of honey and one or two drops of essential oil (Lavender or Mergamot)

Add 1 tbsp of white flour just to make the paste thicker

Mix the ingredients and apply the mask on your face, leave on for 15 mintues and wash off with warm water.

Do this once or twice a week. Soon you will see the difference

Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
(female)

EmeliaKanson HB User

Considering the complexion you are complaining about is likely caused by the smoking, quitting would likely give your body a change to fix you up. So yes, I think quitting would help your complexion, as well as your overall health. Though nothing works for everyone, the nicotine gum has been a fabulous replacement for my aunt, and she hasn't looked and felt so great in years. (It isn't the nicotine causing problems, it's everything else in cigarettes. There's a reason you normally shouldn't inhale things like tar and cleaning fluids...) Try it, I really think you'll like the results.

Closed Thread