It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

eyeyam HB User
Question rash after scrubbing with back brush

Hi....I have an appt with the dermatologist but it's not for several days. I scrubbed my body with a back brush last week and the next morning realized I have a rash everywhere I used it ( legs, back, arms and chest). The brush is synthetic and on the softer side. I don't normally use the brush. I'm really concerned because I'm several weeks post op from a hysterectomy. That's why I used it...I was giving myself a little at home exfoliating spa treatment and thinking it would be good for circulation as well. Well so much for that bright idea. Now I'm a nervous wreck. I've looked at pics of all kinds of rashes and can't match it. It shows no sign of going away. It looks like slightly raised white spots with a little pimple in the middle. My legs are the worst ( scrubbed the most). It is itchy at times.

Initially I used some tea tree oil shampoo on it. I used silver sulfadiazine cream twice and apple cider vinegar compresses another day, all with no change.Those remedies I used only on legs to see if there would be a difference from other areas. I don't normally suffer from any type or rashes.

Anyone have a similiar experience

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

nova98 HB User
Re: rash after scrubbing with back brush

All I know is...when I get out of the shower I dry the front of my legs carefully and apply a moisturing lotion (I think it's Eucerin?--it's derm recommended). If I don't do that, I get a red bumpy rash on the front of my legs. It's because the skin is thinner there (covering the shin bone) and vulnerable to breakdown my derm said. If it does start to break out into a rash I have a prescription ointment that I use (but putting that Eucerin on after a shower seems to have cut down on the rash problem). I use a soft shower scrub but try not to be too vigorous on my skin with it (prefer shower scrubs to washcloths) and I use a mild, nondetergent shower gel and/or Basis soap. Maybe your skin is just reacting to the brush. You'll get a prescription ointment from your derm and suggestions on which "soap to use. Until you see your doctor, you might want to take lukewarm showers and use Basis or Purpose (again, derm recommended)...and avoid any shower scrubs or brushes until you discuss them with your doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to nova98 For This Useful Post:
eyeyam (08-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

eyeyam HB User
Re: rash after scrubbing with back brush

NOVA98 :

Thank you so much for your response. You got it right! It was dermatitis. The doctor gave me some cream and told me to use mild soap. It took two weeks but has finally gone away. My skin is definately much more sensitive than it used to be. I had quite an emotional response to this rash because I was only 2 weeks post op and had never had anything like it before.

Thanks again and Best Wishes

Closed Thread