It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

Kay2005 HB User
Unhappy Sudden mysterious skin rash - Please help!

Hi everyone, new here, and hopefully someone here can help me out.

About a couple of days ago I developed a small, red, swollen patch of skin that is very itchy and painful - like a throbbing, *****ly pain - on my upper chest. At first I thought it was eczema since sometimes I have outbreaks - so I put my dermatologist prescribed cream on it, but it didn't do anything. It has actually gotten worse since then. I have two patches now on my chest, two patches behind the back of my arm/lower shoulder blade, and one on my mid-upper back. Upon closer inspection, it looks like an accumulation of red, tiny blisters. Some look festered, like they could possibly pop which scares me. My upper left arm specifically, is pretty much covered in just these alone (no patches).

I found out that two of my friends have had this, one of my friends actually still does, so maybe I got it from them? They both have claimed to use Monistat cream on it - the one friend says she got rid of it this way, and the other friend says it's starting to go away with use. How is this possible, could this be a fungal skin rash? I am currently using Cortisone 10 cream that a pharmacist recommended, it's too soon to say if it is doing anything yet.

My dermatologist is out of town for a week, and I have no health insurance, so I'm hoping I can figure out what this is and see if I can just deal with it myself, before forking out loads of money. My friend and I are in loads of discomfort and are frustrated in trying to figure out what this is - she's had this for a couple weeks now, so I'm hoping mine doesn't last that long! Any ideas or suggestions would be amazingly helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
(female)

Kay2005 HB User
Re: Sudden mysterious skin rash - Please help!

Update: I just came back from a Dermatologist (after trying to find one that had an opening for today or tomorrow, and didn't charge $160 dollars for new patients). I had to get in, the rash has become way more painful and irritated than before.

Two dermatologists from the medical center both visually diagnosed me for Shingles. They ran two tests that I won't get the results for in a couple days, but they recommended Motrin for pain, Aveeno lotion or Vaseline to help soothe the itching, and prescribed me Acyclovir 800mg that I have to take 5 times a day, for 7 days. This will get rid of the blisters and also help soothe the pain.

He also told me Shingles isn't contagious, but if you have Shingles you can give someone the Chicken Pox that has never had Chicken Pox. You can't get Shingles, unless you have already had Chicken Pox as well. Hopefully this helps anyone that may be reading this that shares the same symptoms that I do.

Edit: I should also mention, I am not sure what my friends have, but it isn't Shingles. Also, apparently I got a Shingles outbreak due to a weakened/low immune system. So if you think you have a weak or low immune system or if you were sick with something prior before, this could cause a Shingles outbreak.

Last edited by Kay2005; 08-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Closed Thread