It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

LiliT HB User
Unhappy What's going on?! Itches, spots etc

Hello. Please could anybody try and explain my symptoms. I will see a dermatologist in about a week and a half but am worried sick.

I have had symptoms off and on for 9 months. They are:
- tiny little inconspicuous red spots that itch badly on groin, ankles, under bra, upper and lower back and recently on scalp
- sometimes I feel as if there's something crawling over my skin especially on arms (used to be on legs too but that has stopped, touch wood)
- slight itchiness between toes of feet

I feel that the symptoms get worse in certain places e.g. certain beds / chairs etc. and at special times of the day - 11am and after 5pm.

Doctors have diagnosed thrush six months ago and scabies recently and I have drowned myself in treatments for those diseases with slight success but not enough to make a lot of difference. I have also washed bedclothes etc religiously. Last time I saw a doctor he said that he wasn't sure that I had scabies and that he didn't know what was wrong so I needed to see a dermatologist.

I am feeling very low about this and it is affecting every aspect of my life so while I really, really want your opinion, please try and be sensitive and don't freak me out!!!

Thanks very much!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
(female)

LiliT HB User
Re: What's going on?! Itches, spots etc

To add, that my moles are slightly itchy and I have a new light brown lump under my bra that is very itchy and larger than usual moles (oval - about 12mm by 6mm).

And please freak me out rather than not respond!!! :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Hopefully, your dermatologist will be able to give you the correct diagnoses!

All my life I've had some type of 'creeping crud' as my family calls it. Doctors have diagnosed scabies, spider bites, contact dermatitis....and prescribed all the treatments that were supposed to help them. Nothing cleared it up.

I only see a dermatologist now cause the doctors were always wrong! One dermatologist laughed when I told him the doctor said I had scabies. He said it couldn't possibly be scabies, the rash was not even close to what scabies looked like.

One biopsy showed I had an unusual virus or something going on internally. He was able to show me in one of his manuals. He put me on an antibiotic for quite a while and the outbreak that appeared for several years went away and never came back.

The most recent outbreak was biopsied as hives....and once again it was due to an internal allergy. The dermo prescribed a special cream and allergy pills and that was the end of that.

Good luck with the dermatologist...they are the only docs I've has success with in diagnosing skin conditions!

The Following User Says Thank You to gingertea For This Useful Post:
LiliT (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Be sure to show the dermatologist your mole. He will know whether it needs to be looked into further. I grew up in So Cal and burnt to a crisp many times. My skin has lots of sun damage and I've had a couple spots of non-spreading skin cancer removed. My regular doctor told me it was 'nothing' so I let it go for awhile......I should have known better!

The Following User Says Thank You to gingertea For This Useful Post:
LiliT (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
(female)

LiliT HB User

Thanks so much. That's made feel much better. After being treated quite dismissively by doctors, I didn't have high hopes that the dermatologist would help, but of course, dermatologists are different and will hopefully sort me out!! I'll make a list of all the various spots, dots, itchy warts etc on my body before I go - just in case!!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
(female)

LiliT HB User

I'll see the dermatologist tomorrow but I'm more or less certain that my symptoms are due to a polyester allergy (or nylon or something) because I've worked out that all the spots, scratches, brown patches of skin and itches are where I have been (or am) in contact with polyester:
- bra
- seams of clothes
- sanitary products
- pillow
- velcro
- clothes labels
- fabric office chairs
- fabric train chairs

I have already had skin patch tests that showed that I had nickel, gold and sulphite allergies so it's not surprising but I don't know why this allergy didn't show up the last time.

If anyone has any experience of this, please can you tell me what questions I should ask the dermatologist and where I would find clothes that are allergy-free. Thanks very much.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
(female)

LiliT HB User

The dermatologist said I had dermatographism. I knew that but thought it was a symptom rather than the end of the road. Hmm...

Closed Thread