It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
(male)

DannyTX HB User
Itching Bumps on Scalp

A few years ago I started having some itching bumps appear on my scalp. This problem went away sort of quickly on its own and then occasionally came back. It became more and more frequent. Now I have a serious problem with it. Now all of a sudden my fingers are developing something similar. Benadryl gel takes care of the hand itch. But my scalp is driving me nuts.

I have tried every single over the counter medicated shampoo. I went to a Dermatologist, (make that the Dermatologistís Physicianís Assistant), who said it may be some sort of Folliculitis. He prescribed an extremely expensive oral anti-biotic called Doryx and some prescription shampoo called Loprox. That didnít cure it.

I have done a search on here and found some older posts that sound similar to my problem, but with no solution. Somewhere I read a thread on a forum where somebody had success simply with antibacterial soap. I tried that as well, including antibacterial dishwashing liquid, with no results.

Can anybody make a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

txjerky HB User
Re: Itching Bumps on Scalp

I had linear sores erupt on my scalp. After oozing clear liquid they would form a white thick scab. I had this problem for over 6 years and made several trips to dermatologists who prescribed antibioitics and creams. Nothing helped.

I tried all types of shampoos, creams, diets, etc.

This past November I realized I was having gastro problems from using so much artificial sweetners. (All brands). I stopped using them cold turkey and in about 6-8 weeks I noticed I was not getting any new eruptions on my scalp. The last of the scabs fell off and have not returned. So my only conclusion is that it must have been the artificial sweetener. But I realized they are hidden in lots of products so I have to be very careful.

What a relief this has been after years and years of agony.

The Following User Says Thank You to txjerky For This Useful Post:
DannyTX (04-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
(male)

DannyTX HB User

Incredible! And the timing of your reply! I’m a Diet Coke-a-holic!! I can go through a 2 liter plus maybe eight or more cans a day.

Besides my head itching, just in the last week I have been having some stomach problems. My counselor wife said that she is pretty sure that my head itch, as well as my stomach problems, are due to stress. I think my head itching started about the time my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago.

My mother recently became very ill. She has been my Dad’s caregiver at home. However for the past eight weeks she has been in the hospital or nursing home. Dad has had me very busy since Mom became ill. Also, I just decided in the past few days that the Diet Coke is tearing up my gut as well. I have been drinking more of them than usual.

So yesterday I decided to attempt to quit Diet Coke, or drastically cut back. Today I drank one. I am going to try hard to really quit or cut back.

I guess now I have some hope for the head itch. Thanks for your reply!!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
(female)

txjerky HB User

I do hope this helps you. It is hard to give the coke up but it might be well worth it.

Like my cousin said about sweeteners "when was sugar so bad that we had to resort to chemicals in our food?".

I am so thankful I don't have all that itching and pain from the eruptions.

Good luck and let me know how you do.

Sorry about all the stress in your life. I know that is hard as I went through similar with my parents.

Closed Thread