It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
(male)

Lyle665 HB User
what the heck

Okay this started about 2 and a half months ago and its kind of complex so stay with me- I shaved my head spring break (as i always do when it starts to warm up) and I didn't notice anything abnormal about my scalp. I worked outside and may have got in some plants, but nothing I know could cause a poison ivy type outbreak. Any way I noticed some itching at some point and thought it was just dandruff. Usually goes completely away when I shave my head. So I used my dandruff shampoo and the irritated parts of my scalp, mainly on the back and one side turned bright red. The shape of the rash was like continents, with definite outlines. After using the shampoo, they kind of felt like my scalp tightened and then it scales and flakes off like dandruff. I was thinking its seborhicc dermatitis, from the pictures I saw online. I tried pine tar and denorex and again, they make the irritated spots bright red and then they tightenup and flake off, like dandruff. I have been shaving my head for years and never noticed this continental-like outline on my scalp. So why now?
Okay the next part is that about the same time, I get very itchy on my balls (pardon my crudeness) I think its from redbugs (chiggers) which we have every year at this time. After a couple of weeks of scratching and trying not to, I realize that I don't have any bites but the same continental outline on my scalp is on my balls...I suspect may a fungus- like jock itch, buy some tinactin and spray thoroughly for a week with no improvement.
Whatever is on my balls is the same thing thats on my scalp- what is this stuff? I also have one small patch on my face on my lower cheek that turns bright red like the other locations, then flakes in process, always returning to the exact same outline. I put cortisone cream on for several days and it subsides but then it comes back in the exact same locations as red as ever if untreated with cortisone.
So, and I'm just thinking out loud here- this stuff isn't spreading, so its not an infection or a fungus. It looks like dermatitis, but why is it only occuring on my head and my balls? I have had dandruff in the past and it hasn't been confined to the same patchy areas of my scalp (this looks like something I came in contact with caused it) and I have never had a problem of any kind with rash or itchiness on my balls.
It seems like contact dermatitis- I think thats what its called- like poison ivy, where it is appearing on the areas that came in contact with something- but it clearly is not poison ivy, which I've had before- it doesn't itch that bad and it has the process of reddening, then flaking off, and appearing in exactly the same places over and over. But if it was that sort of contact dermatitis wouldn't it go away on its own after a while?
I don't think its seborhicc dermatitis because I am 46 and have never had this before. The patch on my face appeared the same time as it did in my groin and on my scalp. There have been no changes in my health, no stress, no dietary changes. Just out of the blue I developed this.
What have I got? Will it go away on its own? It is annoying, but it isn't really bad enough for me to go to the doctor.

Last edited by Lyle665; 05-24-2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
(male)

Lyle665 HB User
Re: what the heck

[QUOTE=Lyle665;4985955]Okay this started about 2 and a half months ago and its kind of complex so stay with me- I shaved my head spring break (as i always do when it starts to warm up) and I didn't notice anything abnormal about my scalp. I worked outside and may have got in some plants, but nothing I know could cause a poison ivy type outbreak. Any way I noticed some itching at some point and thought it was just dandruff. Usually goes completely away when I shave my head. So I used my dandruff shampoo and the irritated parts of my scalp, mainly on the back and one side turned bright red. The shape of the rash was like continents, with definite outlines. After using the shampoo, they kind of felt like my scalp tightened and then it scales and flakes off like dandruff. I was thinking its seborhicc dermatitis, from the pictures I saw online. I tried pine tar and denorex and again, they make the irritated spots bright red and then they tightenup and flake off, like dandruff. I have been shaving my head for years and never noticed this continental-like outline on my scalp. So why now?
Okay the next part is that about the same time, I get very itchy on my balls (pardon my crudeness) I think its from redbugs (chiggers) which we have every year at this time. After a couple of weeks of scratching and trying not to, I realize that I don't have any bites but the same continental outline on my scalp is on my balls...I suspect may a fungus- like jock itch, buy some tinactin and spray thoroughly for a week with no improvement.
Whatever is on my balls is the same thing thats on my scalp- what is this stuff? I also have one small patch on my face on my lower cheek that turns bright red like the other locations, then flakes in process, always returning to the exact same outline. I put cortisone cream on for several days and it subsides but then it comes back in the exact same locations as red as ever if untreated with cortisone.
So, and I'm just thinking out loud here- this stuff isn't spreading, so its not an infection or a fungus. It looks like dermatitis, but why is it only occuring on my head and my balls? I have had dandruff in the past and it hasn't been confined to the same patchy areas of my scalp (this looks like something I came in contact with caused it) and I have never had a problem of any kind with rash or itchiness on my balls.
It seems like contact dermatitis- I think thats what its called- like poison ivy, where it is appearing on the areas that came in contact with something- but it clearly is not poison ivy, which I've had before- it doesn't itch that bad and it has the process of reddening, then flaking off, and appearing in exactly the same places over and over. But if it was that sort of contact dermatitis wouldn't it go away on its own after a while?
I don't think its seborhicc dermatitis because I am 46 and have never had this before. The patch on my face appeared the same time as it did in my groin and on my scalp. There have been no changes in my health, no stress, no dietary changes. Just out of the blue I developed this.
What have I got? Will it go away on its own? It is annoying, but it isn't really bad enough for me to go to the doctor.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Just a thought but could it be your soap or shower-gel. Even if you havent changed to a different brand it is still possible to become allergic to some ingredient in the product, also it would not nessesarily develop all over your body.
It could even be something in your diet.
If I was you I would visit a Dermatologist and find out what it is or an Allergy Dr. If left it could appear in other places.
Hope you find an answer and good luck,

Solofelix.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

Lyle665 HB User

In the event that anyone had a similar problem as mine, I am following up on what finally happened. It is now June 28, and the rash has disappeared on both my scrotum and scalp.
It lasted for about 3 months. I realized that using pine tar soap or a denorex only seemed to flare up the rash. I tried two kinds of ant-fungal, spray and cream with no change noted. I tried listerine, vinegar, diaper rash cream, vaseline, head and shoulders dry scalp, anti-bacterial soap...Cortisone cream did seem to aleve the redness, but it would recur promptly. Finally I just said screw it I am not going to put anything else on it or worry about it anymore and forgot about. I let my hair grow out and I continued to use the safeguard anti-bacterial bath soap with my daily shower and I used head and shoulders dry scalp for my shampoo. Slowly, slowly the rash just went away. I don't think it was anything I did. I also started taking vitamins and drinking more water- but again I think the rash just ran its course.
Since then I have shaved my head again, and my scalp is perfectly fine. It must have been a reaction to something, strange affliction I had. Glad its over.
So, to conclude, I don't know what I had or how I got rid of it.
My advice to others with similar red scrotum and/or scalp would be not to overreact- don't use a strong acid-type shampoo that will inflame the problem. Exercise proper hygiene and don't bombard your scrotum with all sorts of different creams. Btw, I am not recommending going to a doctor- I haven't been to one since 1985

Closed Thread