It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

12 Gauge HB User
Itchy Left Forearm

I have had this affliction now for about 6 months. Only on the upper side of my left forearm right below the elbow. I found that exposure to the sun would irritate it more than usual. Scratching it would make it 100% worse, to the point of wanting to tear the skin off. The only way I can control these attacks is not scratching at all and applying an ice pack to the area for 20 minutes.

I had a strong hunch that it was something that I was ingesting on a regular basis, and that it was tied to that substance directly. I started by making a list of stuff I ate regularly like pepper, onions, vitamins, drinks (both soft and alcohol) and eliminated all suspects. After only a couple of days relief set in. Slowly I began ingesting the eliminated items one by one, allowing 24 hours or so to go by before ingesting the next one. It seems that in my case it's avocados that seem to be the culprit.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
(male)

itchyforearm HB User
Re: Itchy Left Forearm

12 Gauge,

I have had the same issue for about 3 years. Left forearm only, no rash or any detectable signs of irritation other than my scratching. Drives me crazy. I've found that ice packs or products like BioFreeze are the only thing that offer relief. I too went through a series of food tests but came up empty. I did not however look at avocados carefully and we do eat a lot of them. I will be sure to check that out thoroughly.
Earlier in my investigation I suspected Lipitor but after almost 2 years I still have the itch.
The purpose of this reply is something new that I just thought of. Someone I know is suffering from severe eczema due to UV treatments. It has occurred to me that I have roughly an hour commute each way where the sun comes from the left side both in the morning and in the afternoon. Would you happen to have any similar situation?
As for me I am going to try protecting my left arm from the sun as much as possible and I will also take a close look at avocados.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
(male)

12 Gauge HB User

[QUOTE=itchyforearm;5062357]12 Gauge,

I have had the same issue for about 3 years. Left forearm only, no rash or any detectable signs of irritation other than my scratching. Drives me crazy. I've found that ice packs or products like BioFreeze are the only thing that offer relief. I too went through a series of food tests but came up empty. I did not however look at avocados carefully and we do eat a lot of them. I will be sure to check that out thoroughly.
Earlier in my investigation I suspected Lipitor but after almost 2 years I still have the itch.
The purpose of this reply is something new that I just thought of. Someone I know is suffering from severe eczema due to UV treatments. It has occurred to me that I have roughly an hour commute each way where the sun comes from the left side both in the morning and in the afternoon. Would you happen to have any similar situation?
As for me I am going to try protecting my left arm from the sun as much as possible and I will also take a close look at avocados.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

abbylassie HB User

Hi! I had exactly the same thing, for about 6 months, prior to realizing I was in peri-menopause! Only it was on both forearms, with no detectable signs of irritation! Ice packs did not work: I was tested for allergies that may cause it, and nothing showed! It was so bad near the end, that I would wake in the middle of the night, scratching so bad, that I got up once and sprayed my arms with Fantastic, and sprinkled Comet or Ajax on it, and scrub with a nail scrub brush!! That helped long enough for me to get to sleep! Crazy, I know!! During the day, I could not wear long sleeves, or anything that touched my arms! Once the hot flashes started, that horrible itching went away! Now, if I can just get the hot flashes and other symptoms to stop...! Here's to hoping it won't last very long for you!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
(male)

12 Gauge HB User

Hello,
I misled you on the avocado thing. It turns out that it was not keeping the perches of our Macaws clean that seems to be the cause of my forearm itching. Since it occurred to me I have cleaned their perches and have had no itching at all. I pick the birds up with my forearm and I think that the sun perhaps got the bacteria growing and made the itch worse. I hope this helps someone with this affliction.
All the best,
Jonathan Dales

Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
(female)

abbylassie HB User

[QUOTE=12 Gauge;5062368]Hello,
I misled you on the avocado thing. It turns out that it was not keeping the perches of our Macaws clean that seems to be the cause of my forearm itching. Since it occurred to me I have cleaned their perches and have had no itching at all. I pick the birds up with my forearm and I think that the sun perhaps got the bacteria growing and made the itch worse. I hope this helps someone with this affliction.
All the best,
Jonathan Dales[/QUOTE]

Hi Jonathan!
I'm glad to hear you have found the source of your itching! That would most certainly cause bacteria on your arm, and create the itching! Glad you found a resolution!
Sincerely,
Laurie

Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
(male)

itchyforearm HB User

Hi Jonathan,
Glad you have solved your problem. In the early days I thought it was the Lipitor since the itch did go away for awhile after I stopped taking it.
As for other sources I can't say I have Macaws but I do have a dog, which at the moment doesn't explain much. I'm going to give the sun protection theory a try and see how it goes. It will probably take a couple of months to get any meaningful results but I will post my observations when I have something.
Jan M.

Laurie,
I'm glad you've figured out your issue as well. I'd hate to have to resort to Fantastic and Ajax. Desperate times call for desperate measures - yikes

Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
(male)

12 Gauge HB User
Smile Re: Itchy Left Forearm

[QUOTE=itchyforearm;5062437]Hi Jonathan,
Glad you have solved your problem. In the early days I thought it was the Lipitor since the itch did go away for awhile after I stopped taking it.
As for other sources I can't say I have Macaws but I do have a dog, which at the moment doesn't explain much. I'm going to give the sun protection theory a try and see how it goes. It will probably take a couple of months to get any meaningful results but I will post my observations when I have something.
Jan M.

Laurie,
I'm glad you've figured out your issue as well. I'd hate to have to resort to Fantastic and Ajax. Desperate times call for desperate measures - yikes[/QUOTE]

Hello Jan and Laurie,
The Fantastic and Ajax solution bolsters my theory of it being bacteria in my case. If I handled the birds I would immediately wash my forearm with anti-bacterial soap and the itch stopped. I've been keeping up the cleaning of their perches and the dreadful itch has left. It would move from one forearm to the other, but fortunately never both at the same time. I told my wife that if I was unlucky enough for it to spread over my whole body that I would shoot myself. I couldn't take it.

Good luck with with your search for the cause of your affliction. Sooner or later the light will go on.

Jonathan

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
(male)

desti HB User

[QUOTE=12 Gauge;4990826]I have had this affliction now for about 6 months. Only on the upper side of my left forearm right below the elbow. I found that exposure to the sun would irritate it more than usual. Scratching it would make it 100% worse, to the point of wanting to tear the skin off. The only way I can control these attacks is not scratching at all and applying an ice pack to the area for 20 minutes.

I had a strong hunch that it was something that I was ingesting on a regular basis, and that it was tied to that substance directly. I started by making a list of stuff I ate regularly like pepper, onions, vitamins, drinks (both soft and alcohol) and eliminated all suspects. After only a couple of days relief set in. Slowly I began ingesting the eliminated items one by one, allowing 24 hours or so to go by before ingesting the next one. It seems that in my case it's avocados that seem to be the culprit.[/QUOTE]
I was having the same problem on both arms and expected a allergies from spraying Plants for Bugs but was not sure as it disappeared in one stage.
(It was taking a long time to find out) and I assume I found to get rid of this irritating itchy in one day with a PHENERGAN Tablet which has a lot of side effects (Falling nearly in sleep after taken one table.)but it did help me directly and stop taken this now and have no problems with my arms anymore.
Its worth to try I think.

Reply Reply