It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

HalfAHeart1 HB User
Unhappy Chronic Chapped Lips My Whole Life

I'm 20 years old and can't remember a time when my lips were normal and healthy. They are smooth and soft around the edges, but dry tight, flaky in the center. They are like this 24/7 and it's uncomfortable, and I feel like I will never be able to kiss anyone until the dryness is cured.

I've used all kinds of chapped sticks and lip balms over the years, but they only temporarily help the problem and have come to realize they are very bad for lips. There will always that layer of balm covering your natural lips as well, which isn't to great either. I've used a couple natural moisturizers, like olive oil and coconut oil (haven't tried others yet), but unfortunately don't have any effect.

My mom has Diabetes and Addison's Disease. My dad doesn't have anything other than high blood pressure and cholesterol. He is very healthy. I don't have anything medically wrong with myself that I know of, but I do have Keratosis Pilaris (Common skin condition. Can be caused by Vitamin A deficiency also), which is most noticeable on my legs. I don't believe I have vitamin deficiencies, but I could get that checked out to make sure.

I'm just at a loss as to how to cure this problem. Does anyone else suffer from this same thing??? How did you go about fixing it??? Any advice about curing my lips from the inside out???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
(male)

Florida 2012 HB User
Re: Chronic Chapped Lips My Whole Life

I have a similar problem. I am 21 years old and have lived in practically 99% humidity for my entire life so I know the weather has nothing to do with it. I've tried researching this as much as possible but I've come up with nothing. I've tried every moisturizer and chap stick there is and nothing works. The only thing that has treated, not cured, my lips has been an ointment called protopic. But I've been warned not to use it on my lips and I've read it could cause cancer so I have attempted to stop using it. I used it for 7 years and I would apply it every night before I went to bed. The next morning I would wipe it off and be fine all day. If I missed one night I would be fine the following day. However, if I missed more than one night, the dry cracked lips would return. It's so weird and I'm at the point in my life where I am going to try and get answers. I have seen a few posts like this one but no one has solved this problem so I hope I can figure out something in the next couple months. Good luck!!

p.s. I would ask you to try the protopic ointment and see if it works for you too but I don't want to give you cancer haha.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
(male)

Florida 2012 HB User

I just googled "Keratosis Pilaris" and I have that too... Weird... I hope you see these replies cause it seems like we have the exact same skin condition (body, and lips). I have the bumps on the back of my upper arms and the side of my body. I used to have it all over, but it has gotten better with age.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

HalfAHeart1 HB User

It's nice to know someone else has the same problem.
I'll look into trying the ointment you mentioned when I get a chance.

For the past year to control the peeling and dryness, I've been exfoliating with warm water and a wash cloth daily and putting the tiniest amount of Vaseline to hold in the moisture. Petroleum jelly isn't really the best thing to be using ALL the time, but...so far it fends the extreme dryness enough that I can at the very most, kiss! I have been trying not to use any kind of chap sticks or lip balms.

If you happen to find any other forums/blogs about this exact problem or topic, you should send the link over. I can't really seem to find any blogs with some decent responses. :/

Reply Reply