It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

usersname HB User
Looking for suggestions (Allergy-Dry-Sensitive-Eczema)

Hey there,

I'm looking for any suggestions as to how to counter this issue my wife has been having with her skin.

Before she moved here, her skin was fine, (with the in the no-cat and very humid environment) but up north it is very, very dry for her skin, and we are currently forced to live with cats (in another part of the house; although I'm aware it doesn't make much of a difference with cat dander).

She has been (1 1/2 years) experiencing very itchy and painful eczema rashes that fluctuate up and down, derived I think from allergies from cats and the dryness. It is usually on the arms, neck and cheeks. It is a constant problem and is pretty much ruining her, and since we are unable to afford moving out for the time being, I am looking for any suggestions.

What she uses that helps:
--Currently pieces of Alo Vera plant that helps slightly calm the itchiness.
--She uses Aqua-vera for moisture. It has worked better so far than any other moisturiser.
--Lots of water of course.
--Mittens to stop itching at night

What has not worked very well (if at all):
--Spectro eczema care
--Aleve allergy pills
--Benedryl reduces the itchiness, but does not do anything else but make her sleepy
--Some type of special eczema cream used on babies, recommended by a cosmetic lady, did nothing sadly
--Golds Bond worked in the south, but up north isn't enough
There were many other brands, but I can't remember... perhaps if I see them in any suggestions I'll remember.

Now I know the general consensus is something along the lines of, "Don't live with cats," but like I've said it's not an option at the moment. So any tips from those who know or have ever actually experienced bad (not the mild stuff people always complain about and fright over it seems, even though it's usually not a fraction as bad), will surely help. I'm just looking for something to get her through this temporary issue.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Looking for suggestions (Allergy-Dry-Sensitive-Eczema)

A couple of non-drowsy antihistamines could help- like fexophenadine or loratidine, both OTC. Also, has she seen dermatologist? There are good fluorinated steroid ointments-RX that can be used on body, and hydrocortisone cream can be used on face OTC. A hepa air purifier for your rooms may help filter out some of the dander. Infrequent bathing in warm water, not hot, can help, using hypoallergenic soap. Any chance of food allergies causing this?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

usersname HB User

Thanks for the response!

I will look into the non-drowsy antihistamines. And as for a dermatologist, I tried a while back but had issues since she is still pending for residency in the country (the very few who 'can' see her charge abhorrent amounts of money).

She was using hydrocortisone cream now that I remember, and although it calmed the itchiness, it had about the same effectiveness as alo vera does, so she prefers to use the alo vera since it won't risk scarring or anything unnatural.

I managed to get 2 air purifiers passed down to me for the time being.

And you suggest taking warm baths here and there? We have dove sensitive skin soap; though I should be on the look-out for some hypoallergenic ones; I think someone gave us one before and it benefited her a bit. Maybe I can find a local store.

And food allergies we don't believe are a cause. Fruits irritate her mouth (allergy), but she takes mostly vitamin supplements. Even beforehand, when living in humid and non-cat conditions, she was fine eating anything without any eczema plaguing her.

We just went out for a couple days and she felt a lot better. The eczema was still there, and was really irritating, but I could tell it was not comparable to living here; she did not itch nor complain about it as much. So far we are thinking it is a mixture of cats, dryness, and diet.

I thank you for your suggestions!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
(male)

PostPlayer96 HB User

Hey, I saw your post and I thought I might be able to help. Well I too have eczema like your spouse. I have it the same areas as well. What I suggest medication wise is cetirizine (zyrtec). Also, I saw that you tried benadryl. For that I suggest you use that for night use so that she'll be able to sleep easier.
For the skin I suggest cetaphil and nivea. Hope this helps!

Last edited by PostPlayer96; 08-06-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
(female)

usersname HB User

Thank you muchly for the suggestions.

I will look into getting Nivea and Cetaphil for her skin to see the effect.

As for Zyrtec, we had a pack a while back and didn't notice any changes for her case.

Closed Thread