It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

MarJol HB UserMarJol HB User
Itchy Backs Of Hands DRIVING ME CRAZY

I'm to the point where I'm almost in tears because I'm so tired of the back of my hand itching. It started out on just the left hand and was in between my pinky and ring finger. There were no bumps, swelling, rash..nothing..just itchy. That has gone on and off throughout the day and night for a week now. Yesterday I noticed the top of my ring finger on that same hand started to itch and then it traveled to the side of my pinky. Now the top of my middle finger on my other hand is somewhat itchy. This is blowing my mind because I have no bumps, rash, redness...nothing at all. I've tried curel anit-itch lotion, goldbond medicated anti-itch ointment, a steriod cream I had left from a previous doctors visit about a year ago, and also just regular hydrocordizone cream. These will help somewhat but it has been a full week now with no solid relief. Anyone know what this might be or what else I could try? I called my dermatogolist and can't get in to see him for a month!!!!

About me: I'm a 29 yr old female, healthy weight (24 BMI), no health problems, don't take any medications. I do tend to wash my hands a lot throughout the day. I just don't see how handwashing could cause this kind of severe itching though maybe it could. I use Goldbond Aloe Healing lotion every day. The soap my hands are in consists of SoftSoap Soothing Aloe liquid, Dove Sensitive Skin Bar Soap, and Palmolive (the original green kind) for washing dishes.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Itchy Backs Of Hands DRIVING ME CRAZY

Do you ever use hand sanitizer or antibacterial soap? If you do, stop. The Aloe Vera soap does have fragrance and a number of other questionable ingredients.

I moisturize my hands with plain vaseline whenever they get dry. Try a hypoallergenic moisturizer that you tolerate well.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

MarJol HB UserMarJol HB User
Re: Itchy Backs Of Hands DRIVING ME CRAZY

Hi Jane,
Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, I do use hand sanitizer when I am away from home (both the gel and wipes). I was using antibacterial soap up until about 2 weeks ago and switched to the liquid aloe stuff. I'm going to discontinue using the aloe and just use the dove sensitive skin bar soap that I use in the shower because it is fragrance free and hypoallergenic. I'm also going to try just using vaseline on my hands. I usually use it on my feet in moderation during the winter so that is a very good idea. Thanks again and I'll repost if any of this brings me some relief. I hope I'm not up again at 4AM again itching myself to sleep. :-/

Last edited by MarJol; 08-29-2012 at 05:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MarJol:
janewhite1 (08-29-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
itchy hands