It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Chigger Information

I am new to chigger attacks and let me tell you the itch and pain is something you will remember for a long long time. When I looked for information I found a lot of myths. The link below describes the life cycle of a chigger and it should clear up some of the misunderstandings about the nasty devils.
If you have children and you live in a known chigger location or are going to visit such and area take extra care. The best way to deal with chiggers is a good defense. Use bug sprays like DEET and reduce skin exposure. Tuck you pant leg in your sock or boot and spray. If you don't like the chemical sprays you may want to make your own spray from Neem Oil.
If you suspect you or your child/children were in a chigger location then shower ASAP and wash all clothes in hot water right away.
There are many home remedies on the web. I think I tried most of them and they do work. However they did not work consistently.
Always stock Benadryl and Calamine lotion. You never know when your child will wake up at 3AM with chigger bites or yourself for that matter.
To date the best treatment for me seems to be two tablespoons of Neem Oil in a about 6" of bath water or more. I use a little liquid soap as an emulsifier. WARNING THIS WILL BURN A BIT. Before jumping head first into the tub test with your foot and ankle. Afterwards towel dry and use a hair dryer to throughly dry. Coat all affected areas with Calamine lotion. Take Benadryl.
Tip; if you are by yourself you can use something like a back scratcher to apply Calamine lotion to your back. Simply rubberband a small sponge to the back scratcher and soak with Calamine lotion and apply to your back. It's not perfect, but it works.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/chiggers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
(female)

Janet4571 HB User
Re: Chigger Information

You are absolutely right in that chigger bites will drive you nuts. I have had many over the years and my best remedy was to put clear fingernail polish on each bite. It will smother the little critter and he will DIE. Benedryl helps a lot to relieve the itch until that lil monster is dead. Chiggers like to burrow into the skins in dark moist places; like your waist band and crotch area and behind the knees.

Closed Thread