It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 05:35 PM   #1

britty witty 3 HB User
Post help please! ? about jojoba oil n dry face

okay i have really dry skin on my face, it even flakes off its soo gross and i hate how it looks when i put on make up .. i hear jojoba oil .. also emu oil is good but im skeptical ,, im afraid it will break me out! cuz i break out easily because of my sensitivity.. how would i use jojoba oil, can i use it with another moisturizer (im using a kind called corium 21 with aloe right now) and where can i buy it, how much, etc please all the info you can give me thank you!!

Old 11-08-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
You can purchase jojoba oil over the internet, or you might also find it at retail outlets that sell essential oils.

After you wash your face and towel dry, apply about 4 drops of jojoba oil to your face and massage into the skin. Wait about 5 minutes, then apply the cream you have been using. The molecules of jojoba are so very tiny that they will penetrate the surface layer of the skin, open up the pores, then draw the healing properties of your facial cream in after it. I think you will find that your cream/lotion will work much better with the aid of jojoba. Jojoba will not clog the pores as it will mimic the body's natural sebum and will actually 'break up' any collected, hardened sebum (pimples).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2002, 05:25 PM   #3

britty witty 3 HB User
should i use just pure jojoba oil before my moisturizer or mix it with vitamin e as i heard on these boards? r u sure it wont make me break out even using it with my other moisturizer? im just really paranoid i cant help it.. thanks for the help marti also!

Old 11-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #4

Tari28 HB User
Hey britty witty...I have been using jojoba oil now for about a month and I have had no breakouts at all from it. I have VERY oily/acne prone skin too. I do just like marti said (as i got the advice from her in the first place). I wasy my face and allow it to dry completely, then apply about 4 or 5 drops and massage in. Then I apply any other topicals i use. It really is great stuff and I really don't think you should worry about it breaking you out. There have been studies done showing that bacteria (including that which causes acne) cannot survive in jojoba oil. Just make sure you are using pure jojoba oil w/no other pore clogging ingredients. You can do an internet search on jojoba oil and there is tons of info on it including facts which support how it will not clog your pores and cause breakouts. I think it is okay to mix with vitamin E as long as you don't have oily skin from what I recall. I do think that mixing it with vitamin E creates a formulation like that of solar oil and is good for using around your eyes and on your nails. Also, jojoba oil is an excellent hot oil treatment for you hair

Old 11-08-2002, 10:03 PM   #5

britty witty 3 HB User
well i dont have oily skin i have VERY dry skin and prone to breakouts, so i would use the jojoba oil alone or with vitamin e or either way for dry skin? then use my moisturizer a few min after to let the oil soak in right? thanks so much for the help i REALLY appreciate it

Old 11-09-2002, 06:02 AM   #6

tootles HB User
Marti

I would have thought that the jojoba oil works better and helps the moisturiser absorb better when you mix a few drops into your moisturiser, rather than applying the oil directly ot your face and then applying moisturiser over it. Is this right?

Old 11-09-2002, 10:10 PM   #7
(male)

Sebum HB User
Hey britty.

If you are prone to breakouts or acne, I wouldn't recommend the Vitamin E. From what Marti has told me, Vitamin E's molecular structure is very large, so it will only lubricate and condition your skin and not heal. With the use of jojoba oil, the Vitamin E can penetrate through the pores and do its job... But... I heard from Marti that you should use pure jojoba oil if you are prone to breakouts or acne. Also, a few users from the Acne board have posted that using Vitamin E on there face has clogged their pores and made them breakout.

If you just want to soften the skin, just use pure jojoba oil... If you are trying to find it, go to a store called Vitamin Shoppe (unless you dont have that store around your location). I bought a 4oz bottle of it for $7.

Old 11-10-2002, 08:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Apply the jojoba oil directly to your skin and wait a few minutes so it can open the pores, then apply your moisturizer. It works much better applying in this manner. I don't use any moisturizer any more - only the jojoba oil. In the winter when the air is drier (or when my husband turns the heater all the way to 80), I will add a few drops of vitamin E oil along with the jojoba as vitamin E is an excelent healing oil. That's all I use and all I have used for YEARS. I found by mixing my own oils, the cost of using these essential oils is way less than what I spent on Solar Oil and/or lotions.

Old 11-10-2002, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Marti,

Have you found the jojoba oil/vitamin E oil mixture to be of benefit in preventing and treating undereye lines/wrinkles? Has it done a good job for you? Also, do you mix the two in equal proportions?

Old 11-11-2002, 11:06 AM   #10

britty witty 3 HB User
thanks for all the info guys!! i really appreciate it, so much that i bought some at my health food store..i tried it last night and so far so good.. ONE more question tho.. is this going to not only help my dry skin but maybe help my acne too? im just putting it on first then a few min later some aloe moisturizer

Old 11-11-2002, 11:05 PM   #11

Fantaseee HB User
Theres a fantastic book thats come out fairly recently that recommends using a piece of muslin in v hot water as an exfoliator before putiing on any moisturiser etc. Ive been doing it for a while now and i love it!

I use Oil of Olay daily facial clothes, run some very hot water into the sink and basically dunk it in and rub it on my face gently. the amount of crap that comes off is amazing as it opens up yr pores. then after that i cleanse until there is absolutely no more dirt on the cotton wool pad. then i rub a small amount of emu oil on. i was suffering from dry patches etc and this rountine has cleared them and it doesn't break me out

Old 11-12-2002, 04:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reply to Rita's question: "Have you found the jojoba oil/vitamin E oil mixture to be of benefit in preventing and treating undereye lines/wrinkles? Has it done a good job for you? Also, do you mix the two in equal proportions? "

I am now 54 years old and have very few wrinkles/lines under/around my eyes. I use primarily jojoba on my entire face, but do apply a mixture of equal parts jojoba and vitamin E to the delicate eye area. This mixture (or the use of Solar Oil) around my eyes has also diminished the dark circles. I don't need to wear foundation products anymore as my skin looks and feels healthy and the color is more even.

Old 11-13-2002, 01:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Thanks, Marti. May I ask how long you have been using jojoba/solar oil?

Closed Thread