It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2002, 09:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Post VERY itchy, bumpy rash

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.
Last Saturday, I noticed that the sides of my waist was itching and I looked and noticed a rash. Very very fine bumps that almost looked like chill bumps. The next morning, these bumps itched like the devil. I wanted to avoid going to the emergency since the doc would be open the next day but by Sunday evening, I had to go. The rash had spread around my whole waist and it itched so bad that it hurt for my shirt to just touch me.
I went to the ER, the doc gave me two shots, one of cortisone, one of benadryl and gave me a steroid prescription. My evening was miserable because my body still itched.
I went to the dermatologist the next day and he gives me the same old same old that I am allergic to something, we just don't know what. Mind you, this is the FOURTH time this year this has happened to me breaking out, once on my legs, twice on my chest, and now the waist. I haven't had any new soaps, perfumes, medicines, etc. etc. so I don't have a clue to what it is. I did however, wear a new leather skirt Friday but I thought that it seemed odd that just my waist would break out and not my legs.
Does anyone have a clue to what could be the problem?? Any input would be useful. The way that rash hurt, I thought for sure I had the shingles.

P.S. The rash does seem to fade and the itchiness wears off around hours 36 of noticing it. The worst is around the second day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2002, 01:11 AM   #2

Dublin HB User
Do you remember what you were wearing the day you got the rash or the day before? If you were wearing jeans you could be allergic to copper/nickle ... which would be in the button of the jeans. A friend of mine suffered like you and then found out that's what caused it.

Old 11-14-2002, 05:25 AM   #3

cheyanna2 HB User
Have you had an allergy pick test done? Since you aren't sure whats causing it you may want to have this test done. They will be able to find out everything you are allergic to. My friend kept breaking out in a rash so he had the test done, it turned out he was allergic to the dyes on dark fabric. He ended up having to buy new sheets and replace some clothes.

Old 11-14-2002, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Thanks guys but I don't think those are the problem. I've been wearing jeans all my life and the button hasn't ever caused me a problem before.
I did go to an allergy doctor about a year ago. He gave me the standard ***** test with the scratches from about 20 common allergy sources but none of them caused a big reaction. I don't think though that he tested for anything such as a dye or a fabric type, just things like pollen, cats, grass, milk, etc. How would I be able to get tested for something like that??

Old 11-14-2002, 12:11 PM   #5

cheyanna2 HB User
On Web MD you can find more information on allergy tests. There are other types other than the skin ***** they can do. Sometimes things can come up normal on the skin ***** but show a problem on another test. Read about them and then ask your doctor. I wish I knew what to tell you, its hard to say with things like this. Most times it will end up being something you never even thought it could be.

Old 11-14-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Thanks Cheyanna, I'm going to look at that now and I'll let ya know!

Old 12-24-2003, 04:06 AM   #7

jeffy01 HB User
Re: VERY itchy, bumpy rash

myloathe, I have that same problem you are having. It just started for me and I do take benedryl and basic skin lotion and it is very tedious having to take all these when it would just come back the next day or so. Good Luck....

Closed Thread