It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2002, 03:04 AM   #1

chic908 HB User
Post jojoba oil

I read that jojoba oil is good for the skin, but I wanna know what does it actually do? does it help with marks, zits, or what?
thanks

Old 10-11-2002, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Here is the information on Jojoba Oil so you can read for yourself:

Pure Jojoba Oil can be used to assist in fighting wrinkles and extra dry and old skin as well as skin plagued with many other ailments or problems. It assists in minimizing lines and wrinkles and will actually help rejuvenating the skin and new cell growth as well sorting out problem skin, without clogging the skin with greasy mess.

It is suspected that jojoba oil "tricks" the skin into stopping the production of sebum through somehow mimicking sebum. This also means that jojoba oil will assist in breaking down sebum in plugged-up pores. Sebum and jojoba oil will mix readily without sealing off the skin pores.

Dermatologists have also reported jojoba oil's non-irritating use for acne. Other materials such as mineral oil can cause anaerobic microbial growth and inflammation redness and swelling in and around pores. Jojoba oil will not cause blackheads that contribute to acne.

As a result jojoba oil and sebum will form a non-greasy, non-tacky layer with exceptional trans-epidermal water control. How great, jojoba oil will therefore assist in fighting wrinkles as well as dry, or oily skin.

Sperm whale oil was used for decades as an oil for fighting wrinkles. Jojoba oil is composed of liquid wax esters which makes up 25 - 30% of our skin's surface layer called sebum. As we age our rate of wax esters production steadily decreases, particularly in women. It has been reported that jojoba oil also has the ability to retard sebum excretion in people with oily skins.

Professor Zille of Port Elizabeth University carried out further studies on the anti-bacterial effects of jojoba oil and the results were presented at a Coshem Congress held at Mintek. Tests at Michigan University showed that five of the most common skin bacteria plus certain skin fungi couldn't survive in jojoba oil.

Studies on jojoba oil at the University of Michigan supports the conclusion that 5 of the most common bacteria, including staphylococcus aureus and pseudomonas aeruginosus as well as the fungus candida albicans were not capable of growing in jojoba oil.

The medicinal working of jojoba oil was studied at the Pharmaceutical Department at the University of Port Elizabeth and found that jojoba oil destroys the bacteria staphylococcus and pseudomonas within 1 hour and 15 minutes. Studies on jojoba oil at the Ben Gurion University in Israel have shown that jojoba oil relieves the symptoms of psoriases.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2002, 05:55 PM   #3

tootles HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Marti

I bought the jojoba oil. I have been mixing about 3 drops from my vit. E capsule and 3 drops of jojoba oil, and apply that straight to my faces. BUT, because my face is oily, its not very cosmetically appealing.
What do you do about that?

I was thinking of mixing the oils into my face cream, which is rosehip oil cream and then applying so I dont end up with that greasy look, and people asking me whats that oily stuff on your face. I only use the oils when I am at home, but you know, when you get unexpected visitors.

The jojoba oil feels really nice on my skin. Like soft on my face and easily absorbed.

If I mix it into my regular moisturiser will it lessen the ability of the oils to work on repairing my skin?

thanks in Advance

Old 10-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
If you have oily skin, don't mix the vitamin E with the jojoba, just use jojoba by itself.

Old 10-12-2002, 06:33 PM   #5

tootles HB User
thanks marti

thing is i need the vit e for acne scarring that i have. but maybe i will try the cream and seehow i go.

Old 10-13-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
(male)

Sebum HB User
What is the usual amount sold in stores and what is the average price?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2002, 08:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Marti, I am curious about one point. You mentioned that jojoba oil is very good at stopping oil production (good for oily and acne-prone skin) so how can it also be good for wrinkles under the eyes? Isn't the skin there lacking its own natural oils and wouldn't jojoba cause even more dryness by curtailing oil production in the undereye area? Is jojoba oil something you recommend for under the eye area or is solar oil a better choice? Have you used either one yourself and does it actually work to eliminate existing wrinkles or does it simply prevent new ones from forming? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by rita (edited 10-15-2002).]

Old 10-15-2002, 05:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jojoba oil does not stop the production of sebum, it will only MIMIC sebum. For dry skin, it is excellent! For wrinkles or 'bags', etc, mix it in even proportions with vitamin E oil. When mixed with vitamin E, the jojoba will open the pores and draw the large molecule of the vitamin E in after it. This combination of oils condition and moisturize the skin and free the skin of the free-radicals that contribute to aging. I use this stuff on my entire body and my skin is in excellent health!

Old 10-15-2002, 06:47 PM   #9

sharm HB User
Hi Marti,

I was under the impression from one of the other posts that you had receomended solar oil for bags under the eye. Which is actually better solar oil or jojaba oil with vit E.

Thanks for any input

Old 12-01-2002, 01:29 AM   #10

Shinobi_07 HB User
i thought jojoba oil for hair too?

Old 12-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Solar Oil for under the eyes, and jojoba for the rest of your skin. Yes, jojoba is excellent for the hair as well.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #12

Shinobi_07 HB User
ok ummm anyone in canada, Ontario know of any brand or what jojoba oil product to buy? I only find one and it is quite expensive.

Old 01-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #13
Inactive

Treasures HB User
can you get jojoba oil and solar oil at a local store, and not online? Im on southeast coast, thanks

Old 01-04-2003, 02:53 PM   #14

cheyanna2 HB User
I have been able to find 100% jojoba oil at health food stores. I paid $8.00 for a 6oz bottle. I have been using it for awhile now and you can't even tell I've used any. A little goes a long way so even a really small bottle will last a long time.

Old 01-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #15
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
The only place I can buy anything at is Wal-mart. I want to get some of this jojoba oil. Is it available there? That is the only place we have in my tiny town.

Closed Thread