It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 08:18 AM   #1

bpierce5 HB User
Question Armpit rash?

A week and a half ago (Monday), I had mild itching in my left armpit. When I looked, there was a half dollar sized red blotch (rash?) there. Not knowing what it was, I put some lotion on it, and over the course of a few days, the red went away, and there was only a brownish tan rash (same shape). The itching stopped immediately.

Anyways, on Saturday, the red returned. On Sunday, I put baby oil on it, thinking perhaps it was dryness. Over the next three days, the red is completely gone, and the rash is now a barely noticeable tan color. I have no itching associated with it. So my question is...what is it? It appears that the baby oil is doing the trick, but I can still barely see the rash, and it worries me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I'm 24 years old, and live in a very dry and cold climate right now. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
(male)

redwing HB User
Smile

I get a rash with any deodorant that is not unscented. I have found Dry Idea Unscented to be fine.

[This message has been edited by redwing (edited 01-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #3

bpierce5 HB User
But would that cause a rash only under one arm? My other armpit is fine...no rash, no itching. Could this be the answer? I've never had problems with deodorants before...

Any other ideas?

Old 01-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Lightbulb

I had that before or something very similar under only one arm like you. The itching drove me crazy, so I went to the doctor. He said it was folliculitis, which happens when the hair follicles get inflamed or infected, usually from bacteria on your razor (but sometimes from other things, too.)
He told me not to shave for several days, to use small amounts of Neosporin on the delicate (but not irritated) skin around the rash, prescribed a hydrocortisone cream to put on the rash when it itched, and prescribed a round of mild antibiotics. He also said that disposable razors should really be thrown away after each use to prevent any bacterial contamination. I followed his advice, and several days later, the rash was gone.
If you are on good terms with your doctor and see him/her regularly, you might be able to call the doctor's nurse, describe the problem, and the doctor may be able to call in a prescription for you. Otherwise, you may need a quick visit to the doctor or a "first-care" type clinic. Good luck!!

P.S. You may not have what I did; I don't know. I just thought I'd share!

Old 01-09-2003, 10:56 AM   #5

bpierce5 HB User
Anonymity...that might be it...if I was female. I'm male, so I don't shave my armpits. Any other help anyone?

Thanks to those who have tried.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:05 AM   #6

erica_74 HB User
Hi there!

What you describe sounds exactly like my boyfriend's problem!

I bet it is deodorant related: My boyfriend never had any problems with doedorants and he was constanly switching brands until 2 months ago, while using a Givenchy Insense Ultramarine deodorant! He experienced the same stuff as you, so I suggested him to quit it and use something mild. When the problem disappeared and he tried the same deo again, it started all over! So he got a totaly new deodorant and guess what? Same problem again!

I suggested he should use baby powder for a while, just to see if it is going to disappear again, but the best way would be for him (and you ) to visit a dermatologist.

My best guess is that it is some kind of allergy or intolerance of some ingredient, which was triggered by something!

I'll tell him about your baby oil tip! Hope it works on him too!

Take care

Old 01-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
(female)

gen0001 HB User
Re: Armpit rash?

I am 14 and been having this problem for the last two years, and hasnt been so bad but has got to a stage where it is becoming itchy and irratates me because i play so much sport everyday everyweek i cant keep it dry but i take showers soon as possible and dry it then.. I have been using powder and cream and it hasnt helped...this problem has only poped up lately and it went away for a couple of months...Can someone please help me???
Thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

[QUOTE=gen0001]I am 14 and been having this problem for the last two years, and hasnt been so bad but has got to a stage where it is becoming itchy and irratates me because i play so much sport everyday everyweek i cant keep it dry but i take showers soon as possible and dry it then.. I have been using powder and cream and it hasnt helped...this problem has only poped up lately and it went away for a couple of months...Can someone please help me???
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Try a different brand of deodorant. If you're having problems with wetness try a strong antiperspirant. If that doesn't work then you may want to try a deodorant with lavendar in it since lavendar is good at killing bacteria. I would try a natural lavendar deodorant though since natural products don't add any harsh chemicals or anything.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
(female)

babsbaby HB User

Hi there,

It sounds like your armpit charlie's (my pet name for them) are irritated by deodorant. I get it as well. I have to use alcohol free deodorants (usually find the mens ones are nicer smelling)

Oh p.s. to get rid of the itching I also use a bit of hydrocortisone cream - only once and its gone....

Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Shoot Bpierce...that blows my thought! I was going to say it could be your bra as I tend to get a spot that sounds similar to that from one bra on one side only. So, the next question is, do you remember what you were wearing both of those days? If you can remember, was it the same shirt? It may be a seam in the shirt that irritates on that side more than others. None of us are perfectly symetrical which means one pectoral may be bigger than the other which could cause an abrasion on one side but not the other.

Anyway, next time it happens (if ever again) take note of as many details of your day, wardrobe (including jackets for outdoors and gym clothes), cologne, deoderant, perspiration, food you ate and anything else you can think of so you can compare notes the next time (again, if it happens again).

Take care and keep in touch!

Closed Thread