It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #1

chris626 HB User
Post Dry/Peeling Skin on fingertips

Ok hopefully someone here can help me. I've been researching everywhere on the internet and can't find anything like this. I was wondering if this happend to anyone or if they might know what it is? It started about 2 weeks ago I noticed that my finger tips were getting these bubbles of dry skin. I thought it was nothing and it would go away but it hasn't. Its like dry flaky skin that keeps peeling. It seems to be concentrated on just my fingertips. I have maybe one spot on my hand, but each finger has maybe 2-5 small bubbles of just dry dead flaky skin. I haven't seen a dermatoligst due to the fact that I don't have insurance at the moment, but if its serious enough I will not have a choice. I also read that dryskin can be a sign of Diabetes? This is kinda staring to get me worried due to the fact that its been about 2 weeks now and it doesn't seems to get better. I've used "Vasaline Intestive Care Dry Skin" it seems to make it better for a short time after aplying it but nothing to really heal it. I read it could just be the weather but I dunno. Can someone please help me? I'm starting to freak out..
Thanks
-Chris

Old 04-15-2003, 05:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sakara33 HB User
What it sounds like it that you have some type of an allergic reaction to something. Since it is on your hands, the first question I have is do you wear artifical nails, (even if you have been wearing them for along time, and this has never happened before in the past)if so your nail tech has probably used something new on you, that she has never used before and if that is the case, you need to contact her and find out what(every product) that she used on you. It could be a number of things...if she has changed her glue, the primer, monomer, ETC.....but if you don't wear or have never worn artifical nails, Make a list of all the substances that have come in contact with your hands, other then what you normally have been using, maybe hand lotion, dish soap that you have changed. I am by no means a Dr. but it sounds like some type of dermatitis and you need to be seen by your DERMA DR. soon....you could try an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream and see if that helps....but has soon as you can see your DERMA DR......hope this helps....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 05:15 AM   #3

Ling HB User
Hiya Chris,
Don't worry, I had this happen to me to me, too, and it turned out to be a simple fungus, and since it's the fingertips, you may have touched something which someone else had previously and had left a residue of it... anyway, I wouldn't put vaseline on it... if you don't want to see your doctor who can prescribe you a anti-fungal cream, go to your pharmacist/drugstore and ask them what you can get over-the-counter.

fyi, your symptoms, are the same for Athlete's Foot... it's not a cancer :-) ... just an annoyance.

Ling

Old 04-15-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
My mother-in-law had this happen also and she was diagnosed with lupus.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
(female)

stprdi HB User
Don't get too concerned about it being something real serious. I have it too and it's mainly concentrated on 2 fingers. I wash my hands alot through the day and with strong cleansers due to my work. I thought it could be due to that but it's only 2 fingers. Then I wondered if at some point I may have had frostbite cuz the results of that can stick with you over the years. I no sooner heal it up and it peels again. I've tried lots too. Maybe I'll hit the antifungal stuff.

Old 04-17-2003, 06:54 AM   #6

Brwneydgirl HB User
My son has this very bad. His Dr. says it is due to have a larger than average amount of sweat being produced from his hands, he has him using an anti-fungal cream two to three times per day and suggested that after washing them he makes sure he dries them really well.

Closed Thread