It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #1

Blaana HB User
Red face circular itchy rash on arm

Two weeks ago I went to the park for the day and the next day I had what I thought were insect bites on one arm and one leg. I thought they were red-bug bites so I put chiggar medicine on both. The one on my leg got better but the one on my arm got much worse and grew in size. Now I have one large round red area with 3 small round areas around it on my arm. The large one is 1/2 inch or about 1 cm in diameter. They are extremely red, flat and shiny. The big one is now turning a lighter shade of red in the center. Yesterday I worked outside in the yard and I put some calamine lotion on it, thinking that it might be poison ivy. It felt better at first but then after a few hours it started to irritate me and I noticed that the areas were slightly swollen. When I washed off the calamine lotion the areas were much redder. The swelling went down after about an hour. Well, today I have decided that it might be a fungal infection and have put lotrimin cream on it. What I don't understand is how an insect bite, or poison ivy could turn into a fungal infection. Also, heat or covering it up with clothes or bandages makes it worse.

Does anyone know what this is and what to do about it? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #2

sweetescape02 HB User
You were probably right about it being a fungal infection. It sounds a lot like ringworm to me. Keep using your fungal cream and continue to apply it to the area for the entire time it says, I think 3-4 weeks, EVEN if it appears to have gone away. Ringworm is very hard to get rid of so wash your hands after you touch it or apply the cream, because it can spread, so one or two spots can turn into more if you're not careful. My daughter went through this for years and just when one would go away, another would pop up on another part of her body.

------------------
Rest In Peace, Laci & Connor.
May God Embrace Your Souls & Bring Your Family Peace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2003, 04:17 PM   #3

Blaana HB User
Thanks for your reply. I'll try that!

Old 04-20-2003, 01:09 AM   #4
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
You should research lyme disease. from tick bite. really go see a doctor it has neurological consequenses and even death. Ring worm is flaky and slightly itchy you need to go see a doctor regardless.

Old 04-20-2003, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Blaana, it sounds like you may have have been bitten by a tick. Ticks can transmit several diseases. Fifty-percent of people who have Lyme Disease (from tick bite) get a rash and a bullseye rash is a definite sign. It is a good idea to photograph your rash for documentation. Place something near it, like a coin or ruler, before photographing to give it size definition. That way you have evidence of it if you need it later.

Lyme Disease is a multi-system bacterial infection, the rash is only one symptom. It is treated with antibiotics. If you do have Lyme, early proper treatment is very important. It is my understanding that an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated for a minimum of 6 weeks. The antibiotics kill the bacteria only when they are reproducing, which is estimated at around four weeks. A six week course of antibiotics will cover one growth cycle in a new infection. A longer infection needs longer treatment. Please research this.

I suggest getting to a knowledgeable doctor as soon as possible so your rash can be viewed. What state are you located in?

[This message has been edited by ticker (edited 04-20-2003).]

Old 04-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #6

audiocher HB User
Blaana, you were bitten by a tick. Not the one that causes Lyme disease. You have had a severe reaction to something in the ticks saliva. Antibiotics will clear it up. I have had this very annoying rash. It will take awhile to clear it up. You are subject to another bite form spring to late fall. The second reaction is usually not as bad as the first. Good luck

Old 04-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Audiocher, there are eight different ticks that can transmit disease. There are many references (including the CDC) which state that a bullseye rash is one symptom of Lyme Disease.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:31 AM   #8

Blaana HB User
Well, the rash on my arm got worse with the use of the anti-fungal medicine. Today I went to the doctor and he said that it is a severe allergic reaction to an insect bite. He didn't say what type insect. I had to get a shot of cortisone and he gave me a prescription for bactroban ointment.

Thanks to all of you for your concern, advice and suggestions. I have certainly learned alot about insect bites in the last few days.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:45 AM   #9

lkp60 HB User
You also might want to look into a brown recluse spider bite.

Old 04-26-2003, 02:34 PM   #10

Blaana HB User
Yes, I did consider that, the brown recluse. My Dad was bitten by one of those a few years ago. Those are painful though and the one I had was not. Well, now the rash is almost gone and I feel so much better too. I didn't know how bad I felt till I started feeling better after the cortisone shot. Thanks for your concern.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
(female)

desireereed HB User
Re: circular itchy rash on arm

In April of this year, I purchased a abyssinaian kitten from a breeder, to find out that when bringing the kitten to the vet to get checked . I was told that he had ringworm. At the time he had been at out house for 5 days and had been around myself, my fiance, and my hemilayan cat. as well as every inch of the house and garage. when I was told he had ringworm I had no Idea what it was. the vet assistant told me it was very contagious, and I needed to isolate the kiteen asap and start to treat it. she also told me it looked like the kitten had had it for a while and going away, but still very contagious. I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!!!. I went home and called the breeder in a frantic. I told her I would be bringing the kitten back. I was getting married in 4 weeks and trying to prepare my home for viewing and could not isolate the kitten for 6 weeks. I was allready under enough pressure and stress. about 3 days later I noticed a ringworm sore on my right arm. I knew what it looked like on humans which is different on cats. because I spent hours on the internet investigating. about 2 days later I got multiple sores on my thighs, then my back & bumand one in my ear. I had about 10 sores. I was freaking out. I couldnt get to the doctor soon enough. I purchased fungalrx off the internet it did not work for me. the doctor was an idiot and pretty much told me to calm down and that it was just fungus and it had a rite to live as well OW MY GOODNESS THIS GUY WAS A JOKE. My good friend told me about nizoral which is a perscripion from your doctor or dermotologist. SO I booked an apt with the dermotologist asap. At this point I had 10 days to get rid of it before my wedding. I was going as far as puting iodine and bleach on my skin dont do this. he said that it probably would take longer but maby not. to take one pill a day, take one shower aday with luke warm water not hot and use antigugal soap. well it did. All I had left was the marks. But I cant stress enough that you need to bleash & wash in hot water EVERYTHING THAT YOU CAN. wash your hands very often with a antifungal soap like dial. throw away bedding that your animals are on all the time. My himalayan ended up getting it. I had to isolate him in a cage for seven weeks as well as having to give him 5 ccs of medicine by mouth twice a day and bath him in antifungal shampoo( from the vet) Maleseb. every other day (what a pain) I took all the procations and still he got it. My Fiance never got it, but I believe this to have happened for a couple of reasons. 1 he has a awesome immune system which helps a lot. and because I took all the precations needed I was changing our sheets every morning , using my towel once them washing, I was vacuuming every other day, I was bleaching my shower every morning, I was wearing full bajamas every night. ( my poor fiance) some say I was too dramatic, but even though I did all that and when I found out about the ringworm I had taken my cat to the groomers and had him treated 3 times a week with maleseb to take precations . Them during treating my cat I got it again. I followed all the steps again and got rid of it. I also got rid of it off my cat with allot of work and dedication. We put all our stuff in storage because we moved. 5 months later we moved into our new home and put all of our stuff back in. sometime during me moving stuff back in. I got ringworm but once again. just one spot. took all precations again . Now I have two cats and will go insane if I have to treat two cats. so far so good the sore is gone it did not spread anywhere else. and my cats are not affected by it. I check them everyday. so far so good. I apologize for this being so long but If I can help anyone with this it will make me very happy. Because it is a awful thing to deal with.

Closed Thread