It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 12:28 PM   #1

nickelsmurf HB User
Question peeling skin on hands - what can i do?

The skin on my hands began peeling about a week and a half ago. I believe this was caused by bleach (it is in my Ajax and I didn't know!!). Anyways, it isn;t painful, but everyday it is a nusance because a little peels off everyday....

is there anything i can do? It doesn't seem like it will stop until the 1st layer of skin is all gone...what to do?

Old 05-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
You need to see a dermatologist. You may have a skin disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2003, 06:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
One must remember that everything we see and touch except for light and electricity is a 'chemical' -- even a newborn babies skin is 100% chemical. Therefore, when we choose to use household cleaning solutions without wearing protective gloves, we expose ourselves to the skin damaging effects of cleaners. Most household cleaning solutions will damage the surface layer of skin, making it peel off in layers or in chunks, though not necessarily the entire skin surface is compromised. You could use an exfoliating cleanser to help alleviate the peeling skin and follow with a mixture of jojoba oil and vitamin E oil to help condition, moisturize and heal the damaged skin.

When I clean my house, I wear surgical gloves for protection against the harsh chemicals. Wearing surgical gloves, as opposed to those huge, thick plastic ones, allows me to 'feel' what I am doing/touching while protecting my skin. Also, allergic skin reaction developes from repeated and prolonged exposure to a known skin sensitizer, and ALL household cleaning solutions fall into this category.

Closed Thread