It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2003, 05:56 AM   #1

Jeff46 HB User
Post Please help me with my dermititis!

Hello everyone. Im 21 years old and I have seborrheic dermatitis around the creases of my nose. I was on accutane for 6 months in the fall/winter of 2000, and ever since I got off of it in feb. 2001 my skin has been a wreck! I first got the dermatitis in about july of 2001 and it hasn't gone away since. Ive tried a .05 steriod cream and elidel and nothing seems to improve it. I don't have it anywhere but around my nose and I never had it before that. It seems like the symtoms of the accutane never let up on me or something. I still have dry skin and lips and very fragile skin. I also started losing my hair while on accutane and it hasn;t stopped either. Im almost bald now! This really sucks, I fixed one problem and got 3 new ones. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 05-01-2003, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Seborrheic Dermatitis is incurable. In other words, once you have it, you usually have it for life. It can be controlled though so that it doesn't come back.

Personally, I use a 1% solution of hydrocortisone cream that I get at the drug store. I use it twice a day until it's gone, then I use it about every 3-4 days to keep it gone. If I get lazy and stop, it will come back.

My husband uses nizoral. It's a dandruff shampoo. He puts a little on every day before he gets in the shower and leaves it on for about 10 minutes then washes it off. Other medicated shampoos can be used in the same way. They include shampoos containing tar, pyrithione zinc, selenium sulfide, sulfur, or salicylic acid.

A few people have good luck with zinc oxide ointment that you can also get at the drugstore. It's by the baby stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #3

unwell HB User
What does it actually look like around the nose? This is a problem area for me too. Basically this area is always red, and if I don't moisurise thoroughly it dries and cracks. It is often dry and itchy even with moisuriser.
Personally I wouldn't put a steroid creme on my face. I've heard too much about it causing problems of its own.

Old 05-01-2003, 06:35 PM   #4

Jeff46 HB User
Yeah my skin around the nose is red and has cracks too. I can't figure out how it just appeared and never went away? I never had any symtoms like that before. Does getting sun help, because of the UV rays?

[This message has been edited by Jeff46 (edited 05-01-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Yes, unwell, that is exactly what it looks like. It's sort of oily and scaley and if you pick it off, it can be red and sore under it. Usually people get it on their eyebrows, sides of their nose, behind and in their ears. Dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. Cradle cap, that infants get is also seborrheic dermatitis. That's why dandruff shampoos work.

No one really knows how you get it or how to cure it. Sometimes it's hereditary. Some feel it's a type of fungal infection of the skin.

I've used the hydrocortisone for over 5 years now with no signs of trouble. Not saying it's never trouble, just that it hasn't personally caused me any trouble. Like I said, you can try the different dandruff shampoos as they can also work.

Sun is almost always more harmful to your skin that helpful. Not only because of cancer but also, Jeff, you're only 21. I know that 40 seems a long way off but if you use sunscreen now and stay out of the sun you could look 30 when you're 40. I'm 43 and believe me, if I could live life over, I'd have worn sunscreen every single day of the year.

Try the nizoral shampoo Jeff. It will probably help a lot. Good luck

Old 05-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #6

IteachAG HB User
Jeff,
Sounds like seb derm to me sldo. My teenage daughter has it around the nose also. the Dr.prescribed her a special face wash and a steroid cream. We questioned him twice on the steroid and he said that the ones they use for this are not very high powered, so the chances of damage being done aren't that high. He said it would take heavy doses for years and years. Try some over the counter hydrocortisone first and see if it helps. as for it being lifelong, we were told that they really don't know. Some people even have a remission that lasts forever. Who knows.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:36 PM   #7

btandmv HB User
I found a product that is non-steroid - all natural that helped me with both my eczema and my psoriatic arthritis. It's called Skin Saver.

The psoriatic arthritis caused my feet to crack, itch and burn. Tried everything the dermatologists told me to do for two years before a co-worker gave me Skin Saver. Stopped my cracking within three days - two weeks my skin was back to normal.

Closed Thread