It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #1

Rebel HB User
Post Husbands Feet

My husband has what a couple dermatologist have called " severe athlete's feet"..... every cream they have given him has not worked at all...
We do not believe it is athlete's feet..... He has had this since he was a little boy, and my daughter also has it in a lesser degree. Which they have also told us was " athlete's feet"..... and that she caught it from her Dad, showers, etc..... she has had it but it has begun to get worse over the last year or so.
My hubby's feet are severely cracked with peeling hunks of skin coming off, they are worse than sandpaper... They are not painful, just severely dry, cracked, and rough. His toenails really look deformed they are thick, and dont really actually have the shape of a toe nail at all.. I dont really know how to explain this.
Does anyone have any ideas what this might be or what we might can try to cure it? His hands are also the same way, except they are not as bad as his feet, and it does not seem to spread, I have slept with him every night for 17 yrs, and never caught it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2003, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Usually, this problem is always diagnosed as Athletes Foot, but that is actually caused by a fungus, as is his problem with his toenails. My husband has something similar to this and it is actually caused by a YEAST infection. My husbands dermatologist has prescribed Lotrisone ointment, and it works great!

Yeast and fungus are caused by two different spores and can only be diagnosed by taking a skin scraping and growing the yeast/fungus in a petri dish to determine the strain of organism that has invaded the skin/nails. If the doctor has not done this, you might want to see a dermatologist for this type of diagnosis.

Yes, it can be 'caught' by anyone in the family if your husband goes barefoot in the house/shower. You might want to consider purchasing some shower shoes for him to wear when in the shower. You might also want to wear socks in the house yourself to prevent you getting the problem. Yeast and fungus can live on hard surfaces that are 'contaminated', so unless you intend to immediately disinfect everything your husbands feet come in contact with, he needs to protect his feet at all times.

Also, yeast and fungus can live in the leather/lining of the shoes he/she wear if they wear the same shoes on a daily basis. One shouldn't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row due to the perspiration given off by the feet that stays in the shoes for a long time. It is the dead skin cells and perspiration that allow the spores to live, breed, and grow into a colony.

Yes, it is possible to get this on your hands, or any other part of your skin. Get him to a realy good dermatologist and have his skin and toenails cultured for fungus/yeast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2003, 08:54 AM   #3

Rebel HB User
Sounds like you really know what ur talking about... ( smile)
No one in the family has caught what he has, but our youngest daughter has it on her feet and it just started not to long ago..... her's appears like little peeling skin. I dont understand why if you can " catch " this, none of the rest of us have caught it.. I take showers with hubby or have over the last 17 yrs, sleep with him, etc.... have never taken any precautions whatsoever, and I have never caught it and neither has our other two children.
I will make him an appointment with a better dermatologist.
thanks so much

Old 05-08-2003, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Some people are more sensitive to 'catching' things than others - even within the same family. Just because you haven't had a problem, doesn't mean that your daughter has the same resistance that you do. She may have a skin type that is more like her fathers than yours. A 'yeast' infection of the skin begins as little blisters and/or peeling skin. Given enough time to progress, it becomes dry and cracked.

I'm glad you are taking him to another dermatologist! It IS treatable and can be completely eliminated with the proper diagnosis and prescription.
[url="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com"]www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] (approved website by Moderator 1)

Closed Thread