It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 07:48 AM   #1

RaptrFlite HB User
Unhappy HELP! Clothing is itching and driving me nuts!

Hello all! I've had a really strange problem for a long time. Since I was young (I'm 32 now) long sleeve
shirts would drive me nuts. My arms would itch, especially at the cuffs. Around college age, I had to stop wearing jeans because they too started to itch. A couple of years later, they started feeling fine again and I wore them for about a year. Then the itch in the pants started again and I had to wear only loose-fitting khakis and stuff like that. Then a year later, THOSE started really itching, and I had to wear only polyester/synthetic clothes. NOW Even THOSE are itching terribly. I am also finding that the same is occuring with my T-shirts. I can't wear cotton Ts because they itch so bad. I am moderately dermagraphic, and am allergic to fabric softeners and harsh detergents (Tide). I wash all my clothes in a washer and dryer that I purchased and have never allowed anything but 'All Free and Clear' into. I use Dove body wash and tried just about every type of soap and body wash. I have even tried using moisturizers, but they don't seem to help the problem. I have been to a Cleveland Clinic dermatologist and he could not determine anything (he really tried). RAST allergy testing revealed only what I already knew - Allergies to cats, dogs, ragweed, and mold. An allergist suggested that I was a textbook case of Delayed Pressure Urticaria, but would not test me to prove it. I carry a heavy bag over my shoulder to work and I never itch under the strap. I also don't itch around my waistband. I am desparate at this point because I need to wear professional clothes (Shirt/pants) to work. And I want to be able to wear more than one pair of pants a week! Anyone heard of this before?

------------------
The will to give and not recieve... The strength to say what you believe...The heart to feel what others feel inside, to see what they can see... (<BoSToN&gt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
Urticaria is characterized by transient itchy pale dermal swellings secondary to the release of histamine and possibly other vasoactive agents from mast cells. if you havent had the swellings i question if it is what the dr said.i have been bothered by clothing making me itch during in the past ..but i am now post menopausal and it seems to have gotten worse...good luck

Old 01-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #3

RaptrFlite HB User
Yeah, I figured along the same lines. And when this doctor was explaining to his student doctor that what antihistamines do is basically make you tired and when you are tired you don't feel the pain, I lost a lot of confidence in what he was saying... thanx for the reply! Good luck to you, too...

Old 05-08-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

Kallay7 HB User
You either have scabbies or you're allergic to your detergent. I would definitely see a doc and make sure it's not scabbies... I got them from trying on clothes at a department store 3 weeks before I even got the rash. Scary thought about trying on clothes in stores though.... Good luck!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

emma777 HB User
Re: HELP! Clothing is itching and driving me nuts!

[QUOTE=RaptrFlite;523800]Hello all! I've had a really strange problem for a long time. Since I was young (I'm 32 now) long sleeve
shirts would drive me nuts. My arms would itch, especially at the cuffs. Around college age, I had to stop wearing jeans because they too started to itch. A couple of years later, they started feeling fine again and I wore them for about a year. Then the itch in the pants started again and I had to wear only loose-fitting khakis and stuff like that. Then a year later, THOSE started really itching, and I had to wear only polyester/synthetic clothes. NOW Even THOSE are itching terribly. I am also finding that the same is occuring with my T-shirts. I can't wear cotton Ts because they itch so bad. I am moderately dermagraphic, and am allergic to fabric softeners and harsh detergents (Tide). I wash all my clothes in a washer and dryer that I purchased and have never allowed anything but 'All Free and Clear' into. I use Dove body wash and tried just about every type of soap and body wash. I have even tried using moisturizers, but they don't seem to help the problem. I have been to a Cleveland Clinic dermatologist and he could not determine anything (he really tried). RAST allergy testing revealed only what I already knew - Allergies to cats, dogs, ragweed, and mold. An allergist suggested that I was a textbook case of Delayed Pressure Urticaria, but would not test me to prove it. I carry a heavy bag over my shoulder to work and I never itch under the strap. I also don't itch around my waistband. I am desparate at this point because I need to wear professional clothes (Shirt/pants) to work. And I want to be able to wear more than one pair of pants a week! Anyone heard of this before?

------------------
The will to give and not recieve... The strength to say what you believe...The heart to feel what others feel inside, to see what they can see... (<BoSToN&gt[/QUOTE]
Hi,
I have had the same problem, since I was 6, am 48 now. Clothes bother me in summer a little but when fall hits (now) it gets really bad. Everything "picks" me. It is like wearing wool clothes with nothing underneath them!!! Have you found out anything about your condition?

Closed Thread