It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Post Fungus help! Penlac over the counter?

Can someone tell me if Penlac is over the counter or only available with presciption? I think it may be my last resort to battle my lifelong toenail fungus. Nothing else seems to be working and going to the doctor with the cost and hassle my parents will not do. I can go to a pharmacy in town so my question is, is there anything at a pharmacy that I can get? I have heard someone say there is something specifically for toenail fungus there, but haven't been b/c I have been trying the Lamisil cream. It is working some on 1 of the 3 infected nails. But I would still like something that is for toenail fungus directly. Do they have anything over the counter that anyone knows about? Will Penlac ever be over the counter? And if I did talk my parents into letting me do the Penlac if it was prescription, can someone tell me the cost and about how long it will last before you have to buy a new one? I just wish I could get rid of this nail fungus. It is the worst!!! Any help would be appreciated. I wish I could try the Lamisil tablets but a doctor told my dad by the time the treatment was over it would be like $1500-$2000 and that it could hurt me really bad in my liver and kidneys. So they won't do that. If anyone thinks the Penlac could work, I might be able to talk them into that. Does anyone know where I can get some resource material to show them? A website, etc? But, if there is anything at drugstores I can get, please let me know. Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #2

clearwater HB User
I have the perfect solutiion for you. This will get rid of your fungus quicker than any product the doctor will prescribe to you plus it's cheap.

You can use either one of these or both at the same time but use white vinegar or tea tree oil. What you do is put a drop of vinegar or tea tree oil on the part of your toe where the nail grows out from the cuticle. If your fungus has already started lifting your nail also put a drop underneath there as well.

You MUST do this every morning and every night EVERYDAY. If you skip a day then the fungus can jump to the new nail growth that wasn't treated on the day that was missed and you'll have to start all over again.

You can buy regular white vinegar for around $1.00 and tea tree oil at a health food store for around $7.00. You'll be amazed at how quickly your nail will grow once you start doing this. The podiatrist told me it would take anywhere from a year to a year and a half for my full nail to grow back. But...when I used the vinegar and tea tree oil it had grown out completely in 6 months.

Please let me know how it works for you. It's a miracle cure!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Thank you for your reply. I tried the vinegar before, but only for a short time b/c I didn't see any improvement. But, I am going to try it again. It started turning one nail completely pink, but what is so bad about that? It isn't yellow. I am going to try this again. You have convinced me to give it another shot. Nothing else will work. I know it won't help my right big toe much b/c it is just a huge thick nail and there is no way to get rid of the thickness, but anyway thanks for the help. I will let you know how it works. Thank you!

Old 05-09-2003, 09:01 PM   #4

Mary49 HB User
I have been using the tea tree oil every day on my toenails and I am seeing some improvement. I will have to try the vinegar as well.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #5
(female)

franann HB User
I have read that many people use vick's vapor rub for toenail fungus and it works. Its a medical mystery as to why it works. One of the articles that I read was in the newspaper in Dr. Gott's column. I think it would be worth a try. You might want to do an internet search to learn more about it.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #6

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
My doctor won't give me Lamisil either, because they said the liver damage it could cause, and didn't want to take chances because I'm not over 20, or soemthing like that, and also, because it is sooo expensive, and my parents wouldn't be too thrilled about the cost anyways. I've been trying the Vick's vaporub for like...two months now, and see very little improvement. I've tried tea tree oil, and it just made my toenails all white and flaky. Is is supposed to do that? I don't know, could anyone who has tried the tea tree tell me please? I haven't tried the vinegar yet, is there a bad odor to White vinegar?

Closed Thread