It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2003, 11:50 PM   #1

ShootingStar HB User
Post Can retin-a be dangerous?

I have a ton of freckles on my face and I'm interested in getting rid of them using retin-a. I've done all the research and whatever but my mom is really skeptical. So can retin-a be dangerous? I've read about the potential side effects but she seems to thing it's going to burn my face off.

Old 05-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
(female)

Janette* HB User
Lightbulb

Are getting rid of freckles THAT important to you??

I don't know about the potential side-effects of retin-a... but if it sounds risky to you, why even take it?
Lol, I'm sorry. I'm probably not helping a bit. It's just that I love freckles, and I cannot see why anyone would risk so much just to get rid of them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #3

help me HB User
Hi!

I have been using Retin-A for a while i do not use on my face though, I have a skin condition called keratosis pilaris that covers most of me. i am hoping for it soon to be gone because it looks so UGLY. Anyways It has not yet burned away my skin i only use 1 every 2 days but thats because the tube is so little and the cost. i have been using it steady since the first of January. The only thing that has been uncomfortable to me is itching but that is about the only bad thing i can think of for me. I also have no idea if it harms anyone's health if it is used for a prolonged length of time. GOOD LUCK with whatever you try to get rid of your freckels.

Old 05-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #4

nuttyrich HB User
MY girlfried uses retin-a micro and it really hasn't done anything for the freckles,one treatment if you do have the money .. is laser photoderm check that out on a search engine,it's not cheap but there's NO pain and great results for freckles/birthmarks. Retin-a can help but it's no day in the park you can no longer go in the sun you need about 60 spf to go out for a short time... and well sun causes freckles to people who have them,so stay out of the sun and research PHotoDERM,good luck

Take care,
Rich

Old 05-16-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Inactive

carol2 HB User
My goodness, you can't get rid of freckles, whoever told you you could? Freckles are part of your skin, you'd have to remove several layers of it to even come close to lightening them. I'm afraid you can use Retin-A til the cows come home, but you'll still look pretty much the same. And you DO know you need a prescription for that stuff, don't you? I seriously doubt any dermatologist is going to prescribe an acne cream to a young girl for her freckles. And if he does, I'd question his medical training.
Why don't you simply use a concealer to cover them? Just dab it on a freckle and it pretty much disappears. What do you think celebrities do, and models? You think they don't have freckles? Of course they do, and some have a faceful if you've ever seen them with no makeup on, but the right foundation and concealer does wonders. And if you really think about it, if there was really a way to remove them, don't you think THOSE girls would have done it by now?

Old 05-16-2003, 11:20 PM   #6

nuttyrich HB User
Carol i was going to suggest SUNLESS tanning available at hollywood tan's and other salons.. just a simple 6 seconds in their booth sprays the sunless tanner on you and within 8 hours you got a great tan that COVERS the freckles,and NO SUN.. people would NOT know the difference. THis is a small remedy,but freckles are usually something girls/women find cute about themselves.If it still bothers you after getting a few sunless tans,try a concealer.. or go for the last resort .. PHOTODERM it WILL remove freckles,it will take many many treaments and it's costly $250 a treatment,you don't have a birthmark those are beauty marks,try the sunless tanner at hollywood tan a few times you will feel great

Good luck,
Rich

Old 05-17-2003, 06:26 PM   #7

ShootingStar HB User
hmmmm... Carol, I didn't just make up the idea about retin-a. The reason it works for acne is because it removes the top layers of skin, it works the same way for freckles. If you look, there are several messages on this board about removing freckles with retin-a, everyone seems to say that it was effective. I do realize that it is a perscription drug however, none of these people seem to have had a problem getting it. About the concealer, I don't know if you have freckles or if you have ever tried this but it really isn't that effective. My freckles COVER my whole face, there is just no way of using concealer to cover them up, I just don't have that kind of time in the morning. Besides, it looks fake and requires besically being a slave to makeup. Actresses wear stage makeup, and yes, this may cover their freckles but it is definitely not for everyday wear. I'm not saying that under some circumstances freckles wouldn't be cute, ie. cute faint ones on your nose in the summer, but you haven't seen my freckles.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

sakara33 HB User
ShootingStar.....well for one don't do the sunless tanning stuff or the tanning bed, it will just make them darker...believe me I know...and the retin A does work but not like some people think....if your freckles are light to begin with it may or may not get rid of them but from my experience it will just lighten them....I love the stuff...I would not be without it, but you also have to wear a HIGH SPF if you are in the sun,(I would be using it anyway for the rest of your life) because when you are using the retin A it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun and you could burn. Also if you notice excessively red, puffy, blistered, or crusted areas after using the retin A for a few weeks then stop using it, and talk to your Derma Dr. It does take some time for it to work but just be patient....and after you get your sking where you like what you see just use it every once in awhile when needed. Also some people peel with it that is normal....when I start to notice it I use Vit E at night and it does help....and you will continue to peel untill your skin gets use to it...hope that helps....

Closed Thread