It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2002, 03:08 PM   #1

raintk HB User
Exclamation Ringworm

OK, it is now officially five whole months that I have been trying to rid my body of corpis tinea, otherwise known as ringworm of the body. I have used every over the counter cream targeting such a fungus. Nothing works. It even spread as I used the creams. I finally went to a health clinic where they prescribed an oral medication called Grifulvin V 500mg. This stuff is strong and one must take it for thirty days. I am two days away from finishing the meds and it is still there! I have been using creams and Medicated Bond Powder along with the Grifulvin. It seems to have dried up some but has not gone away. I work with animals, so that is where I picked this up. I even know the dog I caught it from and she is completely cured! Somebody please help me! I can't be the only one with this problem! I'm feeling desperate! Ugh!

Old 10-31-2002, 08:06 AM   #2

Datcon2 HB User
Lightbulb

I've been fighting with ringworm for close to 4 years now. Despite numerous trips to the doctor, and the prescription meds he's given me, it's still there. You can forget about over the counter meds, they won't do anything for you. From dealing with this for so long, I've come to learn a lot about how it works. The main thing that causes it to spread is damp skin. It usually pops up anywhere you sweat, or parts of your skin that're not exposed to much air on a regular basis. I have found 2 things that work that might help. The first thing is Clobetasol propionate, which is a type of topical steroid. This stuff does really well at controlling it, and will clear up a spot of it within a couple of days. The second thing I did was join a tanning salon. Now, this may sound crazy but it worked great. The tanning UV's dry out the skin. That keeps the ringworm from being able to spread. Since I did the tanning, it has taken a lot of the punch out of mine, and it is much weaker than it used to be. It's is still there, but with these 2 things, it seems to be gradually going away for the first time in 4 years!!! Only get a couple of spots here and there now, and they generally stay very small (about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller), and the Clobetasol propionate usually takes care of them right away. Can't promise you'll get the same results, but after years of trying, it's the only thing that has worked for me. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Datcon2 (edited 10-31-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #3

djcontra HB User
I got rid of my ring worm in a couple weeks by rubbing powdered sulphur mixed with vaseline on my affected areas.
It sorta smells, but it was really effective, and reduced the itch alot.

[This message has been edited by djcontra (edited 04-03-2003).]

Old 04-04-2003, 09:18 AM   #4

charby15 HB User
I got ringworm from my dog. I still have a couple but since i also started tanning they are almost completely gone. I use selsun blue in the shower to wash my body with because it is medicated and has an anti fungal. Worked great to control it and help get rid of it. I also use a topical cream but can't remember the name of it.

One thing the Dr told me was to put a little bit of bleach in with my towels and wash them in hot water. The fungus will stay in your towels. I am not sure if you have done that or not. If not maybe that is why you still have it....

Old 04-07-2003, 10:00 PM   #5

fawnb2 HB User
What I've found to work is TINACITIN, not the cream but the aerosal.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:47 AM   #6

beachbear HB User
Talking

I'm so glad I found this site! I've been dealing with ringworm for over 5 years now and I've tried the Lotrimin AF cream and tried the Grifulvin... the cream works but takes about 2 full weeks. Glad to see other options I can try though. Never thought about the sun tanning. I'm so desperate I'll try anything! I'm so sick of getting it. I assume I got it from a cat or dog; but when and how is my big mystery. On top of that, the location that it keeps popping up on over and over again baffles me: my bum! My left bum cheek! Ugh!!! It couldn't have picked a better spot, huh? I just don't know HOW it got THERE. (blush) I'm pretty sure I wasn't rubbing my bum against a cat or dog who had it, lol. Any thoughts out there as to how it ended up in that spot? Also, what about mattresses? Can the fungus live in bed mattresses? Any feedback would be great, thank you! =)

Closed Thread