It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 11:15 PM   #1
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Question surgery to remove bump behind ear?

Okay, I went to my ENT doctor and he said it's a chronically infected lymph node, and i went through 2 rounds of antibiotics and steroids to try and get rid of it, now I'm going to have it removed..I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had this surgery to have the lymph node behind the ear removed..I just wondered how painful it was and how long it took to recover and such...Any info would be greatly appreciated, since I'm a little nervous about it...I have faith in my ENT, He took my tonsils out with no problems not even a year ago (when I was still 20)..Thank God for him since my PCP gave me problems for years when I kept complaining about tonsilitis.. So PLEASE let me know if you have any information that can ease my mind a little about this lymph node excision surgery. Thank you ahead of time!

------------------
- * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 05-13-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Please, if anyone has any information about surgery to remove lymph nodes, more specifically the lymph node behind the ear.. Or even if someone has had surgery behind the ear, for any reason. I just need some kind of idea of what i'll be going through...I'm so nervous!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #3

just_imagine HB User
Hi! I've had surgery before behind my right ear, due to a recurring cyst-like growth thing - the doctors didn't even know what it was really, only that it was harmless. It was basically just a big cyst that kept coming back...it would get bigger and bigger until it would pop, and then come back a couple weeks later. I finally had the sack removed from the area and stitched up, hoping to prevent the damaged cells in the area from growing again - they did a couple of times, but haven't for a really long time now. Unfortunately I'd already scarred the area pretty badly from my own picking at it!

Anyway, the surgery was absolutely nothing to worry about, it was extremely quick and painless! The doctor just gave me a quick numbing of the area while I layed there for maybe 15 minutes maximum, a few stitches and that was it, all done. Really fast, and the stitches came out fast too. I still have a little scar behind my ear but it's not bothersome at all.

Mine could have possibly been a lymph node infection, seeing as the area kept feeling with fluid and what not. I am sure you have nothing to worry about, getting your tonsils out sounds much more serious. Hope this comforted you a bit!

Old 05-13-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Thank you for replying! Well, this does ease my mind a bit, although I think it's going to be a little different than that...They are going to completely put me under for my surgery, and make an incision and remove the lymph tissue...I can't actually pop anything myself...It's not like right under the surface of my skin, it's actually inside...But thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. I've been trying to get some kind of an idea of what will be happening, so thanks so much!

------------------
- * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 05-20-2003, 12:55 AM   #5
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Well...Surgery is in about 7 hours from now...Haven't had anything to eat/drink for about 3 hours now... Just thought I'd tell you all. Hopefully everything goes as planned! I'm scared to death though... Just got done taking my shower...Think I'll head to bed pretty quick.....I'll let you guys know how things go.

------------------
- * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 05-20-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Everything went okay, except I woke up in the operating room during the operation. They didn't put me back to sleep either, so I'm a little ticked off about that, luckily they had used some local also, but now I'm back home, and the local hasn't quite worn off yet, but it's starting to. It's throbbing a bit, and my incision is about 1 1/2- 2 inches long and stitched up...No dressing which is weird since it's bleeding, but oh well. I am going to go lie down and possibly get some food in my stomach so I can take my pain meds as soon as they get home for me. I'll keep you all posted...

------------------
- * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 05-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
ilovesunshine

I had a keloid on the back of my right ear and my doctor was giving me injections of medicine to make it smaller. And that helped.

Old 05-22-2003, 05:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Hockeycrystal, I'm glad everything went ok with your surgery! I think they don't dress it coz they want it to drain good. But you'd think they would put something on it????? Like a cotton one? Weird...hmmm. I'd think with all those stitches they'd want to keep infection out. Hope you healing time is swift. Have a good summer. Diana

Closed Thread