It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

pizazz8 HB User
Red face Melasma

has anyone gotten brown spots on there face as a result of birth control pills? I have developed "sun spots" i think as a result of being on ortho- tricyclen...i am thinking of switchin to yasmine...do you think this will help..there is no estrogen> has this happened to anyone?

Old 05-26-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
(female)

gem2003 HB User
There is estrogen in Yasmin as well, albeit likely a different form. I think that some people are just more susceptible to this than others. If you plan on staying on the pill, the best thing you can do it wear a good sunscreen and a hat, stay out of the sun and tanning beds as much as possible, and apply a fade cream to lighten or remove the spots you already have. SOmetimes they go away once you stop taking the pill. Women often get this conditon when pregnant, and it is therefore called the mask of pregnancy. IT usually improves once the hormones settle back down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sakara33 HB User
I have the same problems....but I just started noticing it about 3 years ago and it seems to be getting worse (and yes it is caused by taking estrogen I have been taking it for about 10 yrs now and I am 34 yrs old)...but the more your out in the sun the worse it gets....so I stopped tanning...altogether...anyway I am getting ready to try a new product that I got from my Derma Dr today it is called tri-luma it has 3 key active ingredients which are fluocinolone acetonide, hydroquinone, and tretinoin which are a bleaching cream,
retin-a, and a steroid cream.......it is only an 8 week program...then I will go back to using the retin-a to maintain it....will let you know how it goes......and remember to stay out of the sun if at all possible but if you must then use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher always on your face.....

[This message has been edited by sakara33 (edited 05-29-2003).]

Closed Thread