It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User
Does lotion contain chemicals that make your skin dry?

Hey everyone. I was reading something the other day online which said that lotions are designed in such a way as to make your hands feel softer and less dry for a while but that after this wears off there is another chemical in the lotion which causes your skin to dry out faster than normal so that you become "addicted" to the lotion. Is that true?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
(male)

monkface HB User
Re: Does lotion contain chemicals that make your skin dry?

Hi,

You should be very careful what products you use on your skin... what you described is very typical of industrial petro-chemical beauty products in general (The fossil fuel industry sells many ingredients to the beauty industry). It is said that these chemicals can enter the bodily system and blood stream too, though I'm not sure about this, the skin is our largest organ so you should take care of it with something natural and healthy.

Go for natural chemical-free products... I recommend finding somebody local who produces natural and healthy soaps and lotions, maybe try your local markets, as they will likely use natural preservative options. They can also help you find the right product for your skin.

That being said I'm sure your hands could get addicted to natural oils too, but at least the natural oils used in soaps and lotions are healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
(male)

monkface HB User

As for a specific conspiracy to dry out your skin, i think it would more likely be an economic model to produce a product which gives you results in the short term and to ignore the long term effects. Other purposes of the chemicals/nasties includes preserving and creating a nice looking/feeling lather.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User

Thank you everyone for the replies. I appreciate it. That said, I don't think there are any local markets around here that sell soaps and lotions but I can see if I can find one. That said, if anyone could recommend a good lotion and/or soap I would appreciate it.

Reply Reply