It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Post Question for MARTI.

Marti,
I hope you are around and see this b/c you have given me good advice about toenail fungus in the past and know a lot. My parents finally got me Penlac Nail Lacquer. My dad said the doctor that got the presciption for me says it isn't any good and she hasn't had good luck with it, but if I am willing to try it then that is fine. Well, since you know so much about nail fungus, I was wondering if you could please help me out with this Penlac if you know anything about it. The directions are so vague, and I can't find much of peoples' opinions on the web or experiences with it. Do I need to clip my toenails down all the way? Or just at the end and put it on? Should I put more at the base? Is it okay to go swimming or will it rub off? Do you think I will have better results putting it on in the morning and night even though it just says morning? I want someone's advice who knows a ton about this stuff for me to have the best results or someone who has used it. I have found the the success rate is very low. Well, I want it to include me. Any help would be greatly appreciated by you or ANYONE ELSE who reads this. Also it says it is to be used for 48 weeks, but it seems like it will take at least a year and a half. If anyone has advice to give or knows a lot like Marti, please give it!!! THANK YOU!!!

Old 05-27-2003, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Applying the Penlac more often than recommended will only waste the product, so please follow the application instructions.

Yes, it will have to be used for a longer period than with oral medications, but IF you follow the instructions to the letter, you should have good results. A few extra hints, cut the toenails back as far as you can, but not so far that they hurt. NEVER wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row - always allow them to dry out for one full day after wear before wearing them again. Fungal spores can live in the damp leather of the inside of the shoe and re-infect your nails. Since they need moisture to survive, allowing the leather (or other lining) to dry out between wearings will allow the active spores in the shoes to die from lack of moisture.

Keep your feet clean and dry at all times - wear white socks that absorb moisture vs nylon socks that don't. Don't go outside barefoot either as fungal and bacterial spores live and thrive in dirt.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 06-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Marti,
Thank you very much for the reply. Your information is greatly appreciated! I will come back in a year or so and give my results. I hope they are good. THANKS AGAIN! Jarred

Old 05-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

anilorak HB User
Hey. You might want to consider buying new shoes. The thing with some bacterial and fungal spores is that they can go into a state of suspended animation when conditions are bad and just wait for the environment to be favorable again. (i.e. sweaty feet remoistening the shoes.)So even if you let the shoes dry out.. that's not a gaurantee that all or even that many of the spores will die. Spores are generally extremely resistant to us trying to destroy them. So they can continue to reinfect your feet even if you dry/spray/wash your old shoes. Just my two cents.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:05 AM   #5

Moonique HB User
i have toenailfungus
i have two toes with no nail , i started taking lamisil today.

good luck i know how you feel.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
(male)

Bob Brown HB User
I've used penlac for a while. It does work but I couldn't afford it becasue my insurance doesn't cover it and you only get a small little bottle. I think I might start with Lamisil even though I don't like the side effects on your liver. I know how you feel, Good luck!

Closed Thread