It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 04:42 AM   #1
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Question Flaky scalp, not dandruff??

Hi... I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for my husband. He has terribly a flaky scalp that is a little embarrassing to both of us. I And sometimes were talking snow shoulders here. Well, at my suggestion, he started using dandruf shampoo, which did not help at all. Actually it seemed to make the problem worse. When I examined his scalp, all the flakes are coming from various confined patches and aren't clumpy or oily like danruff. They seem dry.

They look exactly like the flaky patches he gets on his face, especially in the areas he shaves. An exfoliant and moisturizer prescribed by me has taken care of those. What kind of skin problem could this be? Anybody know how to fix it?

Old 06-05-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I had a similar problem once. I tried different dandruff shampoos and while they temporarily reduced the flaking, they didn't eliminate it. Then I cut my hair really short and discovered I had a fungal infection. It basically looked like a white patch on the scalp. I rubbed steroid ointment on it for a few weeks and the dandruff never came back. Try that. If it doesn't work, you may need a strong anti-fungal cream.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 02:55 PM   #3

littleloo HB User
It sounds like your husband may have Psoriasis. My sister has the same condition and is brought on by stress. She gets big patches in her scalp and they itch like crazy. I do know that with this condition it can show up anywhere on the body. She's tried Dandruff shampoo and that didn't seem to help one bit. There are medicated shampoos for this condition if this is what he happens to have. He should go to the Dr anyways to get checked out.

He could also have Eczema that could also show up on the scalp and rest of the body. A friend of mine has this condition and it can be very problematic. Either way get him checked out by a Dr.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:31 PM   #4

Vlasik HB User

siren

I wrote something for you on the beauty board. Take a look at it. :-)

Old 06-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Thanks, and another question. After some more examination and research, I have decided that this is either psoriasis or seborreic dermatitis. I've had him using Neutrogena T-gel, and it's cut down on the flakes
immensely.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the difference between these two? How do I know which one it is, how do the appearances and symptoms vary and so forth?

Closed Thread